Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   Hi! New to this site but not to saltwater (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/hi-new-site-but-not-saltwater-21193/)

SaltGirl08 02-11-2009 05:25 PM

Hi! New to this site but not to saltwater

Hi everyone! Didn't notice any specific place for introductions but thought I'd say hi. Not new to the hobby just new to the site. Have had a 55 gal reef tank for over a year. NO issues yet...:cheers: Hope to meet some people on here and enjoy conversing about this wonderful and addicting hobby!

Pasfur 02-11-2009 06:37 PM

Glad to have you here. No need to "earn your keep" here. Feel free to jump right in at any time.-)

dramaqueen 02-11-2009 09:55 PM

Hello and welcome to FishForum.

onefish2fish 02-11-2009 09:58 PM

i moved you to "meet the community"

welcome to the forum, glad to have you aboard. care to share more about your tank, setup, and anything you want to share? pictures? maybe start your own thread in "saltwater pictures"

looking foward to hearing more from you.

aunt kymmie 02-11-2009 10:09 PM

Hey There! Welcome to the forum. Got any pics? We love pics :-D

SaltGirl08 02-12-2009 12:45 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I have pics...of course I have pics:smile: . My tank is a 55gal Oceanic.I have a HOB filtration and 2 Koralia #2 powerheads, PC lighting(upgrading in 2 months to VHO or T-5). I bought this as a whole setup minus a few fish I had in a 29 gal hex and am gradually upgrading things. I have a pair of goldstripe maroons, a green chromis, springer's damsel, lawnmower blenny and cleaner wrasse. As far as corals go I have red leather, green leather, red mushrooms, green ricordea+ 3 babies,peanut buttercup zoas, brown palys, random zoa frag, blue/pink zoas and star polyps. I have an RBTA that came with the tank...not happy about the lighting sit but it will be fixed asap. So far she's doing good...coloration is decent and holding not bleaching. I know it won't stay that way for long though. I do have a pink brittle star, mini brittle stars, scarlet hermits, nassarius snails, turbos and a bumblebee that hitchhiked on my brown palys. That's it so far.

onefish2fish 02-12-2009 01:04 AM

very nice!
a few things, the HOB filter = nitrate factory = bad news. i would personally get rid of it, and add more live rock. mechanical filtration on saltwater tanks is not needed besides a quality protein skimmer ( i say quality as some are garbage and some golden) and possible carbon/phosban reactors, nothing else unless you include powerheads in that definition. if your using the HOB for a HOB refugium or strictly running carbon then you should be alright but even then i wouldnt do it long term. another point of interest is the sand bed which looks to be about 2 inches deep. if this is the case, this is considered the "danger zone" as you want shallow sand, deep sand or no sand because anything else will trap detritus like the HOB filter will. to sum things up all you really need is enough quality, pourus live rock, flow, sand bed, protein skimmer and weekly water changes. you could also have a sump/refuge for added water volume, place to hide equipment (like reactors,skimmers,heaters...) and cheato algae. if the second to last picture is the bubble tip it doesnt look to be in good shape. do you feed it? how often do you feed it? whats your tanks exact water params?

that last picture btw is awesome with the stars arm raised up and overall its a nice looking tank you have going on and you'll fit right in, i just want you to be aware of the issues i have addressed.

SaltGirl08 02-12-2009 09:07 PM

I plan on changing over to a sump in the next couple of months. I have a few smaller tanks in the garage just have to make time. A little preoccupied with the husband getting ready to go overseas in April. About the anemone, I do feed it and I use pieces of silversides. It also picks up some bits from my frozen food. It eats 2 times a week. SG 1.025, Alk-9, Nitrate/nitrite-0, Phos-0, pH 8.2 Ca-420

dramaqueen 02-12-2009 09:26 PM

cool pics!

aunt kymmie 02-12-2009 09:46 PM

Very nice tank. :-D Thanks for sharing your pics!