Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Which HOB filter to get??? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/hob-filter-get-21177/)

WisFish 02-11-2009 09:24 AM

Which HOB filter to get???

Okay. After all of my posts defending the use of UG filters I'll soon be replacing mine. Last August I increased my lighting, started dosing ferts and Excel, added an Eheim 2217 and added lots of plants. Now I'm ready to change my substrate to Flourite. When I do that, I'd like to remove the UGF and add a second HOB filter. So which one would you recommend, which size and why? I was leaning toward the Emporer 280. Suggestions?

aspects 02-11-2009 09:26 AM

what size tank?

the 2217 is able to handle a 125 by itself (i believe), so unless its a huge tank, i dont think you will need another HOB. maybe a powerhead or 2

WisFish 02-11-2009 09:30 AM

oops. 55gal. I'd like a second HOB filter as a backup and to prevent surface scum.

jeaninel 02-11-2009 02:08 PM

For a 55 gallon get the Emperor 400. It's rated for up to 80 gallon tanks and the dual biowheel is a plus. You'll have plenty of bio filtration and it would be a good back up in case something happens to your canister.

Twistersmom 02-11-2009 04:37 PM

I agree with Jeaninel! Great filter!

dagizmo19 02-11-2009 07:34 PM

I agree, get an Emperor 400, you won't regret it!

aspects 02-11-2009 09:38 PM

aquaclear110. better alternative to the emperor400. larger bio-filtration area, higher flowrate per gph, among other things. ive used many different HOB, and after the AC110, i wouldnt recommend anything else.

syrinx 02-12-2009 05:56 AM

Since you already have the eheim, an emporer 280 would be plenty. If your tank still looks as good as the pictures, I wouldnt change a thing.

I've never had much luck with plants in tanks with a lot of surface agitation (like a large hob) but that could just me me, I dont seem to have much of a green thumb. Since you mentioned surface scum, I assume the suface is pretty calm now. I believe this keeps more c02 in the water for the plants to use. Just something to think about, as you obviously know more about keeping plants than I do.

Tyyrlym 02-12-2009 09:04 AM

You might want to reconsider on the HoB. A HoB will result in a lot of surface agitation and therefore carbon dioxide off-gasing.

WisFish 02-12-2009 02:15 PM

Thanks for all the advice. Here's a little more background/history. Last August I decided to really give this plant thing a good go of it. I added more light, added the Ehiem 2217 to replace my UGF and I still have to replace the gravel with Flourite. After running with both filters on my plan was to just use the Ehiem. I turned off the UGF and within about 3-5 days, the surface was covered in this white scum. I come to find out that the UGF bubbles had been breaking up the surface. So I turned the UGF back on. A month or two later when I was cleaning my Ehiem, I accidently broke the ceramic axle that the impeller spins on. lucily this happened on a week night and the LFS had the part I needed. I looked into adding a surface extractor but I heard they have issues such as letting air into the canister and some can suck up fish. So I decided to have a HOB to break up the scum and to serve as a backup. Also, I use Excel instead of CO2. Is Excel affected by too much surface movement?
Thanks again!