Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Ancient Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ancient-fish/)
-   -   possible eel specimen tank 10 gallon (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ancient-fish/possible-eel-specimen-tank-10-gallon-21162/)

impact4 02-10-2009 07:26 PM

possible eel specimen tank 10 gallon

Hi i have a spare 10 gallon tank and i wondering what everyone thinks i should do with it. I would like to make it a tank just for an eel however, i believe 10 gallons might not be enough room. Is 10 gallons enough?

If so what should i add to the tank in terms of substrate, plants ect. I know they like hiding places and i will accomadate that need. Lastly, would a moon light make the eel come out more often.

P.S. what fish or shrimp would do well with an eel?

Thank you

tophat665 02-10-2009 07:50 PM

There are no eels that will do well in a 10 gallon tank. If you want eel like critters, kuhli and black kuhli loaches can work in a 10. Shrimp won't work with eels. In eel, the word for shrimp is the same as the word for cookie. Kuhlis may or may not eat shrimp, but if you put any of neocardinia species in there expecting them to breed, the kuhlis will eat the babies at least.

impact4 02-11-2009 05:59 AM

Okay, that is what i figured, i had read about a guy who had 10 in a 10 gallon and everyone was upset with him.

daisycutter 02-11-2009 12:00 PM

the odd thing about eels is theres not many "true" eels avalible and i understand these can be difficult to keep the most popular of the eel like fish are the spiney eels but these can grow very large and even the smallest needs about a 30g
kuli loaches are unreleted to eels but look very eel like and can be hardy and interesting fish and are avalible in a number of color variations they prefer sand as they like to burrow and a number of hiding places and can be kept with anything thats nether a threat to them or can be eaten mid-sized shrimp like anamos would be ok as would larger shrimps like the fan shrimps,dwarf shrimp i woulnt trust not to become food

leahqexx 03-03-2009 02:03 PM

i ahve a sand eel, well 2, and they love to burry under the sand, provide lots of caves and plants as hey love those 2, i also have wood shrimp, and they get along fine, i also have yoyo loaches and kuli loaches and they r fine 2, and they love the 2 paddle tail newts, play hide and seek under the sand and give the dwarf frogs rides on there backs!!! they welcome all new fish and protect any that r getting picked on, i would definatly reccomend them!!!

Virus 03-31-2009 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leahqexx (Post 177330)
i ahve a sand eel, well 2, and they love to burry under the sand, provide lots of caves and plants as hey love those 2, i also have wood shrimp, and they get along fine, i also have yoyo loaches and kuli loaches and they r fine 2, and they love the 2 paddle tail newts, play hide and seek under the sand and give the dwarf frogs rides on there backs!!! they welcome all new fish and protect any that r getting picked on, i would definatly reccomend them!!!

How many gallons is your tank?