Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Default 10 gallon tank questions (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/default-10-gallon-tank-questions-21143/)

impact4 02-09-2009 05:16 PM

Default 10 gallon tank questions

Hi, i am new to the forum looking around i think i am going to like it. I currently have a 65 gallon tank, and a 40 gallon tank.

In my 40 gallon tank is some 4 orange platies(three female one male),
6 guppies(4 female two male)
a danio
1 pleco
three small catfish ( 2 corys i black spotted the other normal, one unknown type)
a pleco
some platy and guppy fry
4 neon tetra

My 65 has:
7 or so large schooling fish
a whiptail cat
2 plecos
1 long whiskered cat.

I recently found my old 10 gallon tank and i was wondering what would be something interesting to put in there. I am open to the idea of a specimen tank.

On a side note would a black ghost knife be okay in the 65 gallon tank. Also, would it eat full grown tetras of guppies if i placed him in the smaller 40 gallon tank?

Finally if i were to purchase another tank to put an oscar and a black ghost knife in would they get along and what size would be ideal?

Thank you for reading and for any help or thoughts.

p.s. if any details would help let me know. Thank you.

p.s.s. the ghost knife i am currently looking at is juvenile and is probably 3.5 inches at the most. I can get any size oscar.

Cody 02-09-2009 05:32 PM

BGK's can not thrive in a 65G long term. They can reach 18" long and are very sensitive. Yes, it will most likely try to eat Neons.

No Oscars in either tank as well. They need a 75G minimum IMO (standard tank), or a custom made 55+ gallons (at least 18" long). And that is by themselves, with double filtration.

I'm not good on suggestions, though. Someone else will be able to help there.

impact4 02-09-2009 07:05 PM

okay, additionaly i just looked at your info. How much equipment would i need for a saltwater tank like yours?

I haven't done a saltwater tank before however i have dealt with brackish water. I know the difference is huge. However what size tank is ideal for a first saltwater tank?

Cody 02-09-2009 07:19 PM

As you know, saltwater is completely different. It requires months of research beforehand, and then plenty of patience. It is almost like a love-hate thing. you love it when you get new things and when observing. Hate it when something goes wrong, but that shouldn't happen often if you are all in check.

"Basic" equipment would be:
-powerheads
-skimmer (dependant on tank size)
-live rock
-proper lighting for corals ($$$)
-liquid test kits for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, alk, phosphates, calcium, just to name a few
-water, of course
-refractometer
-heater
-fish
-CUC
-corals

That is the very basic.

Also, this hobby costs a ton of money. For a 10G by itself, I spent probably ~$400-$500 on equipment alone. That does not include all my corals, fish, etc I have bought over months and months.

I'm not trying to scare you away, just letting you know what's what.

Oh, and an ideal size would be as big as you can get. If that is not an option, I would say 20G. Remember, small tanks are more work than large.

onefish2fish 02-10-2009 02:08 AM

hello and welcome to the forum.

for a heads up, common plecos get over a foot long and have large bio-loads.

i think the 10 gallon would make an awesome planted cherry red shrimp tank. i would tape off the tank and spray paint the back black, use black substrate and add about 10 cherry red shrimp. the black background and substrate with green plants contrasts the colors of the red shrimp. before you know it, the tank will be crawling with babies. how exciting is that!?

impact4 02-10-2009 05:59 AM

Do cherry red shrimp proliferate quickly?

onefish2fish 02-10-2009 08:10 AM

not super fast and if they do you can either sell them, give them to friends or even start to use them as fish food to another tank. my LFS has them for like $2-3 a shrimp but i was able to find them locally for 80 cents a shrimp, the guy gave me 11 for $8 which beats 10 for $20-$30 anyday. who cares if they have babies, they are awesome IMO and friends interested in fish would prob. jump on a deal if your willing to give some away.

impact4 02-10-2009 07:37 PM

Alright what fish would do well with them?

Tyyrlym 02-11-2009 06:19 AM

Most smaller tropical community fish will ignore them, mature cherries are just too big to eat.

Lupin 02-11-2009 07:30 AM

Ember tetras and Boraras sp. will fit the bill.