Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   few fish or more room? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/few-fish-more-room-21137/)

groverjr 02-09-2009 04:29 PM

few fish or more room?

Hi, my fiancee is trying to salvage her fish bowl(s) situation. She has just a single danio (plus a beta) and a single tetra in two bowls. Now, we have learned they should be in schools for both danios and tetras, but there just isn't room since the bowls are really just sufficient for the fish she has. Now, getting a tank is NOT an option, so please don't suggest it. What I would like to know is would it be good to buy one more danio and one more tetra for their respective bowls? I know it isn't a "school" but wouldn't it be better if they weren't alone? In a nutshell, would it be better to leave them alone with a bit more space, or have a companion but cramped living space? Thanks in advance!

Guppy Girl 02-09-2009 04:47 PM

Personally I think she should re home the tetra and the danio, and the Betta shouldnt be kept in anything smaller then a 2 gallon, and it should be heated and filtered.

groverjr 02-09-2009 04:51 PM

Ok, thanks for well... nothing. The fish are hers, she cannot take them back (the store won't accept them even for no money back), and no one wants them. So, she can't re home them. The beta is perfectly fine in the 3 gallon bowl and she changes the water regularly and it is warm enough.

Livelifelaughlove 02-09-2009 04:58 PM

Yea they don't REQUIRE a filter, its convenient, but not necessary

Twistersmom 02-09-2009 05:29 PM

One reason fish are kept in schools is distribute aggressions. Schools of fish develop a pecking order. If you only have 2 danios or 2 tetras, it is very likely that one is going to dominate over the other, making one of the fish miserable.

groverjr 02-09-2009 05:32 PM

Ok, now that makes sense. Thanks a lot. If anyone can support this (or has cause to refute it), please respond.

dramaqueen 02-09-2009 06:04 PM

All I can say is do the best you can with the danio and tetra. Yes, they ARE schooling fish and should be kept in groups but it doesn't sound like that's an option for you. Just keep their bowl clean and keep them fed and do the best you can with what you have to work with.

Livelifelaughlove 02-09-2009 06:42 PM

I agree with Drama, you don't seem like you have much option at the moment. Just make sure to keep everything clean and well fed. If you need another bowl (2ish gallons) Ross has some really cool cheap 2-3 gallon bowls that would work ok if you need a little more room. I think i got mine for like $8. and they don't take up much room. But if you keep an eye on them and watch them, then thats all you can do at the moment. If they are really starting to have a problem or are miserable, they will let you know

Cody 02-09-2009 07:11 PM

You better have a filter and a heater. No questions asked. I cannot stress that enough. Water being 'warm enough' is not an option. A heater only costs $10-$15 for that tank size, and this makes the water temperature at 80-82F (which is ideal for the tetra and betta) and stable. Filter is also needed. Look up the Azoo Palm Filter/Red Sea Nano filter. Very good filters for tanks up to five gallons, and cheap too.

Livelifelaughlove 02-10-2009 06:25 PM

Why does my betta make bubble nests every few days, yet his tank is at room temp? he seems fine. Doesn't hang at the bottom more than is to be expected, and is rather energetic? my little one doesn't make bubble nests, but i suspect/hope he is just recovering from being sick