Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Aquarium in a open bookshelf/open cupboard (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/aquarium-open-bookshelf-open-cupboard-211362/)

mwarsell 06-23-2013 11:36 AM

Aquarium in a open bookshelf/open cupboard

I have a rectangular piece of bookshelf, which currently has doors. It has a ceiling so it's a module, meant to be stacked with similar (Ikea) bookshelves/storage cupboards.

Now, I have a cat, but I want an aquarium - for me and him. I can't have one with an open cover as he is so curious he would be constantly jumping on top of the glass and lamp. Accidents for him and the fish (and my panel floor).

So I thought of this: I empty the bookshelf, remove the doors and place the tank inside the thing. A 100 litre tank would fit in there, even with a lamp.

How does this sound? My cat would have things to look at and I'd get an aquarium. Anyone done this? Essentially, it's just a tank in a container.

Will there be problems? Lamp overheating the wood above? Or something unforeseen?

Byron 06-23-2013 11:48 AM

I would be concerned more about the moisture, even from a covered tank. The heat is another issue. And of course weight, even a small tank.

I know other members have cats, it will be interesting to see how they have solved this problem.

Tolak 06-23-2013 01:28 PM

A friend of mine, besides being into fish, is into cats. He makes street cats handleable, then brings them in for a speuter. I think he has 5, maybe 6 indoor cats ATM, several outdoor cats he's working with that will sometimes wander inside. The standard store bought tops & lights are plenty strong for a cat, unless you've got something like a large Maine coon.

They also sell a variety of attractive wooden hoods for tanks, you could easily park several cats on these without worry. Besides the mentioned humidity & heat issue I wouldn't trust Ikea furniture to hold books, much less a tank.

mwarsell 06-23-2013 01:50 PM

edit:

Will Juwel Rekord 800's cover hold a cat jumping on top of it?

Tolak 06-23-2013 02:03 PM

If you're just going to slap glass & a light on the top no, the glass won't cut it. The standard plastic Aqueon or All Glass tops & lights, available most anywhere, will easily support a leaping cat unless as mentioned you've got a really huge cat. If that's the case wooden hoods are available, you'd need a bobcat doing a cannonball from the chandelier to bust up one of those.

The lights are more durable than you'd expect, if you've ever seen how these things get tossed around at auctions you'd be amazed at the battering they can take. With Ikea furniture I'd be more worried about the tank landing on the cat than the cat landing on the tank.

***Edit To Add***

That Jewel hood looks plenty sturdy, unless as mentioned you've got the Godzilla of the cat world.

mwarsell 06-23-2013 02:08 PM

Thanks for the replies.

http://media.mediazs.com/bilder/juwe...ord800_1_7.jpg

Will that hold a cat? (it's not a mega cat, a normal size male).

I'm looking at one on online auction, so I can't go a test the lid/cover thing. On this particular model.

Tolak 06-23-2013 02:12 PM

I don't see why it wouldn't. My buddy has the cheapest hood on a 75, something similar to that on a 30ish gallon bow, and another cheapy on a 40 gallon coldwater tank. He has a lot of rambunctious cats, with no incidents.

ameliarose82 06-23-2013 10:22 PM

We currently have three aquariums and two indoor cats. Now cats are about as different as fish so it depends on how curious your cats are. If your cat is that curious it will still try to get in the bookshelf. My male cat gets in my armoire if I leave the door even a little cracked. When I had my bearded dragon my cat would lay on top of the screen and look down in on him and the screen somehow never fell in. But since we have had fish they have not tried to jump on them at all. I have my 30g and 55g on stands that don't allow for any extra room around the tank so my cats would have to jump straight up and on top of them and so far they haven't tried it. My 3g with my betta in it is on my kitchen counter. My male cat is constantly jumping up there but he hasn't been tempted to mess with it either. I'm not sure if it is the water that they can't see in it well but it's like they have never been tempted.

But like I said cats are so different and I would not want to say this will be the case for you. My advice would not be a bookshelf because of the reasons some of the others have mentioned. You may actually try getting the aquarium and seeing how your cat reacts to it when its empty. Maybe it will get its initial curiosity out of the way before you add fish. Tanks do better when they run a while empty so you may even try putting water in it and turning on the light and filter and seeing how your cat reacts before you add fish. Just a thought, good luck I know what it's like to want so many wonderful pets!

Sanguinefox 06-23-2013 11:48 PM

I have to go with what another person said. It really first depends upon the cat...if you will have a problem at all. I have 4 cats. A few of them get a kick out of watching the fish move, and one loves to get really close (as close as he can) on the corner of the couch to try to touch the glass. I've never had one jump onto the top of my tanks and two of them are great jumpers.

You will either have a problem with them jumping or not. It's something to keep in mind.

That said, what you could do is prior to tank set up, set it up with a top of your choice but without fish or water. Measure the cats weight. Then fill up jugs of water or something equal to the weight of the cat. Stick that on top of the lid which is on the tank. If it holds...you know it'll hold your cat.

JDM 06-24-2013 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sanguinefox (Post 2391057)
I have to go with what another person said. It really first depends upon the cat...if you will have a problem at all. I have 4 cats. A few of them get a kick out of watching the fish move, and one loves to get really close (as close as he can) on the corner of the couch to try to touch the glass. I've never had one jump onto the top of my tanks and two of them are great jumpers.

You will either have a problem with them jumping or not. It's something to keep in mind.

That said, what you could do is prior to tank set up, set it up with a top of your choice but without fish or water. Measure the cats weight. Then fill up jugs of water or something equal to the weight of the cat. Stick that on top of the lid which is on the tank. If it holds...you know it'll hold your cat.

That's just static loading, if the cat can jump onto the top then you'll have to factor in that sort of loading as well. Also make sure that whatever you pick can't slide, I use only glass lids so I don't know if all plastic hoods fit down into the tank to not be able to move around... I would presume so.

Jeff.