Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   aqurium salt (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/aqurium-salt-21116/)

doraslilhitman 02-08-2009 08:24 PM

aqurium salt

hey whats the deal with API aquarium salt is it really beneficial to add to your tank on a regular basis? would regular table salt do the same or would it kill your fish >.<

Cody 02-08-2009 10:24 PM

I don't see why that is needed. It is useless IMO.

aunt kymmie 02-08-2009 10:27 PM

The only reason I'd ever use salt if I was treating my tank for ich and was using the hi temp/ salt method.

Cody 02-08-2009 10:28 PM

Forgot about that. I would never use it unless the same reason.

doraslilhitman 02-08-2009 11:06 PM

iunno the salt seems to make my fish a bit more active and ive read some other positive reviews...i added some theres a slight ich problem in the tank anyways so itll help on both ends

dramaqueen 02-08-2009 11:22 PM

I've heard pros and cons about salt. I've heard that it can mess with the fish's osmoregulatory system.

MBilyeu 02-09-2009 01:56 AM

All fish live in a world that is surrounded by water as well as their bodies having a large amount of water in them. Their ability to regulate the pressure between the two is called their osmoregulatory system. By adding salt to your water, your fish will have an easier time doing almost anything because the pressure of the water outside of it's body is lighter than the pressure inside. Before you think that this is a great thing and start jumping up and down, lets explore what will happen..... All fish have a way to regulate their pressure with most of them using their gills 100% of the time. In saltwater fish, their gills have the ability to excrete salt becuase that is the enviroment that they are brought up in. Same with brackish water fish(just on a lower level). In freshwater fish, they do not have the ability to excrete salt because it is not in their genes(so to say). If the freshwater fish are constantly in a "salty" enviroment, then their stress level will go down, but eventually their bodies will shut down because they cannot handle the salt buildup internally. Long term exposure to added salt can severly shorten their lifespan as well as lead to conditions such as dropsy. Stores like to recommend the use of salt because there is less of a chance that joe schmoe's newly purchased fish will come back to the store dead because of stress. However the serious hobbyist will know that proper acclimation and enviroment will ensure the fish's survival, as well as guarantee a full lifespan because no salt was used. To guarantee the longest life possible for your freshwater fish, it should only be subjected to salt for short periods if it is sick. Also, anytime you add or take away(with water changes) salt, it should be done slowly to allow for the fish adjust to the new pressure. Hope this helps.

dramaqueen 02-09-2009 09:43 AM

MBilyeu, thanks for the info. I was using salt but quit several months ago when I heard that it messed with their osmoregulatory system. I don't want to do something harmful to my fish.

doraslilhitman 02-10-2009 12:49 AM

im using salt now but ill phase it out slowly with water changes. I have a slight ich problem and a big stress problem due to nitrite buildup (screwed with the nitrogen cycle by changing too much water) so its helping now but now that I know ill start to phase it out of the tank. thanks!

Lupin 02-10-2009 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBilyeu (Post 169981)
All fish live in a world that is surrounded by water as well as their bodies having a large amount of water in them. Their ability to regulate the pressure between the two is called their osmoregulatory system. By adding salt to your water, your fish will have an easier time doing almost anything because the pressure of the water outside of it's body is lighter than the pressure inside. Before you think that this is a great thing and start jumping up and down, lets explore what will happen..... All fish have a way to regulate their pressure with most of them using their gills 100% of the time. In saltwater fish, their gills have the ability to excrete salt becuase that is the enviroment that they are brought up in. Same with brackish water fish(just on a lower level). In freshwater fish, they do not have the ability to excrete salt because it is not in their genes(so to say). If the freshwater fish are constantly in a "salty" enviroment, then their stress level will go down, but eventually their bodies will shut down because they cannot handle the salt buildup internally. Long term exposure to added salt can severly shorten their lifespan as well as lead to conditions such as dropsy. Stores like to recommend the use of salt because there is less of a chance that joe schmoe's newly purchased fish will come back to the store dead because of stress. However the serious hobbyist will know that proper acclimation and enviroment will ensure the fish's survival, as well as guarantee a full lifespan because no salt was used. To guarantee the longest life possible for your freshwater fish, it should only be subjected to salt for short periods if it is sick. Also, anytime you add or take away(with water changes) salt, it should be done slowly to allow for the fish adjust to the new pressure. Hope this helps.

Can't have explained it better.:-D