Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Bolivian and German Blue Rams Together? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/bolivian-german-blue-rams-together-210874/)

Kiara1125 06-22-2013 05:32 PM

Bolivian and German Blue Rams Together?

I currently have a 20gL with 1 angelfish and 1 female gbr. I was wondering if I could get a male bolivian ram. I was wondering if they would try to breed (even though I'm not interested in that) or if they would be aggressive towards each other. The tank has a lot of plants and terra cotta pots and pieces. Only other fish are 2 cories (julii and habrosus) and 3 black phantom tetras.

Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device

Byron 06-22-2013 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiara1125 (Post 2380314)
I currently have a 20gL with 1 angelfish and 1 female gbr. I was wondering if I could get a male bolivian ram. I was wondering if they would try to breed (even though I'm not interested in that) or if they would be aggressive towards each other. The tank has a lot of plants and terra cotta pots and pieces. Only other fish are 2 cories (julii and habrosus) and 3 black phantom tetras.

Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device

In this small a tank, please do not try this. A 20g long (30 inches length) is much too small for the angelfish and the blue ram as it is [they will grow, or should, and a mature angelfish is not going to be healthy in this situation. Also, watch out for the phantoms; with only 3 in the group, they will likely be stressed in time, and this frequently results in fin nipping, and the angel is a prime target. There should be 6-7 of the phantom, that would be much better. The angel will soon need more room.

The male Bolivian Ram will come to consider any tank he is in as his space. I speak not only from considerable research on this, but personal experience as I have kept this species for many years. I presently have a male Bolivian in my 5-foot 115g, and he rules that entire aquarium, very clearly. He never (or rarely) bothers the other fish (over 100 various tetra and corys), but if any of them get in his way at feeding, he makes his presence known. It was entertaining the other day for me to sit watching him enforcing his will on the group of Bleeding Heart Tetra, which are a decent size in themselves. They were getting too nosy over his substrate tablets, so he took matters into his own hands--or perhaps fins.:lol: He rarely is more than 5-6 inches from the substrate, but that day he was up mid-tank, with the group of five BH all clusteredd together slightly above him. If any one of them attempted to move closer to the substrate, he would move toward it and it quickly retreated back into the shoal.

Byron.

Kiara1125 06-22-2013 08:40 PM

Well, the angel is moving into a 55 in a few months and the BPTs have been fine with just 3 for a year now. I got them as fry and all 3 females grew up together. Would it be fine if I added a female bolivian ram? I just would really like one and it would be nice to have it with my other ram. Also, my tetras have never been fin nippers. I've had them in with extremely long finned fish and they've never had any tears in their fins.
Posted via Mobile Device

Byron 06-23-2013 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiara1125 (Post 2381378)
Well, the angel is moving into a 55 in a few months and the BPTs have been fine with just 3 for a year now. I got them as fry and all 3 females grew up together. Would it be fine if I added a female bolivian ram? I just would really like one and it would be nice to have it with my other ram. Also, my tetras have never been fin nippers. I've had them in with extremely long finned fish and they've never had any tears in their fins.
Posted via Mobile Device

Discerning male/female in the Bolivian is very difficult. I would not mix them in this tank. I've explained why.

As for the tetra, I can assure you they are not as happy as three as they would be in a larger group. You do have the space in this tank to provide a proper environment for thes little fish, so why not do it?