Tropical Fish Keeping banner

sand or gravel

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  hjkaga 
#1 ·
I am setting up a tank that will have corys in it. Should I use sand or a real small sized gravel in the bottom?

#2 ·
Either way is fine.:) If you want sand, it should be ok although you may have to stir it frequently to prevent it from getting compact. Cories tend to forage the bottom a lot so they lessen your burden to disturb the sand.

As for gravel, make sure you buy gravel that do not have sharp edges as this can damage the cories' barbels.

#4 ·
Also make sure that your sand is round edged or the same damage can be done. Some sand blasting sand is very rought and sharp.

Something you could look into getting if you get sand or gravel is MTS, malaysian trumpet snails. They stir the substrate and prevent dead pockets.

#5 ·
I like sand and gravel. Gravel is easy just gravel vac it up and your good. With sand debris etc.. is easily seen ontop of it and you have to frequently stir it...Just my though!

#7 ·
Gravel is safer for your filter, and your drain when doing water changes. Be careful that the sand doesn't get into the impeller assembly, it will fry your filter quick, and going down the drain during water changes... will clog the plumbing, and it doesn't take much.
The smaller grade of gravel is fine for the corys and safer for the filter because it's heavier, doesn't get pulled in through the intake to damage the filter parts. The gravel is also easier if your're working with live plants, as the sand is too dense for many plants to grow in properly. Sand would greatly limit your selection of plants.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.