Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Need help! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/need-help-21017/)

FishKid91 02-04-2009 09:15 PM

Need help!

I broke my arm about two weeks ago. I have been taking water to petsmart for them to test it and if it comes back and it's bad I use removers that removes PH nitrite, nitrate, and ammona. But right now my problem is algee, in my 29gal I have a bubble wall and it's getting algee on it. I have two snails but they can't keep up lol. The walls are as well getting algee. My 10gal tank that I put my pregnant fish into is starting to get algee as well. I have baby fish and snails in it. I looked on petsmart for some type of algee controll but the only one they have you can't have snails nor live plants and the 29gal has both and the 10gal has baby snails. What can I do to knock out the algee? I really need help with this one! Will doing half a water change help?

Twistersmom 02-05-2009 06:49 AM

I dont recommend using any quick cures for bad water quality. I am guessing water changes are very difficult with a broken arm, I would try to find someone to help out for a while. All the algee is probably feeding off nitrates that are to high. Adding a fish will only make the water worse. I would scrub off the algee you have and start doing lots of water changes.

JohnnyD44 02-05-2009 07:43 AM

I agree with Twistersmom, you need to find the source of the algae problem. Quick cures are exactly that, quick.

How long do you leave your lights on? What is your nitrate reading?

I broke my arm once....it is not easy do deal with, good luck!

FishKid91 02-05-2009 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyD44 (Post 168935)
I agree with Twistersmom, you need to find the source of the algae problem. Quick cures are exactly that, quick.

How long do you leave your lights on? What is your nitrate reading?

I broke my arm once....it is not easy do deal with, good luck!

I haven't checked the nitrate or any other levels since I broke my arm. I don't have a test kit so I just take the water to petsmart and they test it for me and then I use the remover if any of the levels are to far off. I've gotten in the habbit of falling asleep with the tank lights on. I'll lay down to watch tv and forget to turn them off ever since I broke my arm ( the meds make me really tired and forgetful.) Yea i have 4 tanks up, a 75gal tank with two red eared sliders, a 29gal community, a 10gal with around 11 fry, and a 20gal tank with a sick red eared slider ( people I got him from didn't take care of the poor guy but he is getting better:-))

JohnnyD44 02-05-2009 08:25 AM

You may want to get a reading of your Nitrates if you can. Algae can feed off of high nitrates. If you nitrates are high, you can usually get it under control with multiple water changes (again, a bummer with your arm), I also think nitrate levels can spike from over feeding them.....i'm not an expert, but i had a nitrate problem and I cut back on feeding and did (2) 15% water changes a week for a month and I got it undercontrol. Check with someone else, but this may help

An easy way to manage your lights is to buy a timer. Just set it up and plug it in. It'll shut them off for you so if you fall asleep it'll turn off on it's own.

aquakid 02-05-2009 12:29 PM

OMG i actually broke my arm three days ago and have been having the same exact problem. I went out and bought magnetic algae scrapers for all my tanks