Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Ok dumb question..couple actually! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/ok-dumb-question-couple-actually-21005/)

fishyinpa 02-04-2009 12:09 PM

Ok dumb question..couple actually!

Well first off I upgraded Fishy to a 10gallon. He was in a 5.5 that was in some kinda cycle process,but i guess i interrupted that by moving him lol. So Im thinking that its starting all over again? Because before in the 5.5 it was going good, i had some nitrites and nitrates then they just disappeared. But ammonia was still present...so something happened and i dont know what lol! Now its back to ammonia building up again. It hasnt spiked high,its only gone up to a 1. Although now i accidentally knocked over my container with my test tubes and they all broke so i have to go get more lol. Hes been in the 10 for a lil over a week now. So im thinking sometime in the near future (maybe several more weeks?) the nitrites will show up then nitrates and be done? I hope lol. Oh I am treating his water with Amquel+ and Novaqua+ to keep the ammonia from hurting him any. Plus im really good with water changes.

Also I am getting some panda corys. I had to order them through my lfs cause i cant find them anywhere. Ill be getting them friday,but i will have them in QT for like a good while lol. So onto to my next question. Is it possible to get all males or females? Or they probably be too young to tell? Also what are the chances of them spawning? Im not planning on breeding them at all,but want to know if i end up with some girls and boys will i have a problem lol. I admit I dont know much bout fish. Particularly if it matters which sex you get. I know more about furry animals in that regard,and they would spawn like mad! But im not doing that either,dont worry haha. Enough homeless unwanted furry animals out there,so i would never do that. Im thinking of just getting 3 pandas for now because i only have one 5 gallon qt tank not big enough to hold 6 right? Then Im gonna see if I can buy 3 more but keep them on hold or something...do they do that at lf's? Hmm....Cause I do want them but dont want to overcrowd them,plus i dont want to have to buy another heater,filter all that.

So yeah. any help is appreciated! Thanks.

Sj45 02-04-2009 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishyinpa (Post 168724)
Well first off I upgraded Fishy to a 10gallon. He was in a 5.5 that was in some kinda cycle process,but i guess i interrupted that by moving him lol. So Im thinking that its starting all over again? Because before in the 5.5 it was going good, i had some nitrites and nitrates then they just disappeared. But ammonia was still present...so something happened and i dont know what lol! Now its back to ammonia building up again. It hasnt spiked high,its only gone up to a 1. Although now i accidentally knocked over my container with my test tubes and they all broke so i have to go get more lol. Hes been in the 10 for a lil over a week now. So im thinking sometime in the near future (maybe several more weeks?) the nitrites will show up then nitrates and be done? I hope lol. Oh I am treating his water with Amquel+ and Novaqua+ to keep the ammonia from hurting him any. Plus im really good with water changes.

Also I am getting some panda corys. I had to order them through my lfs cause i cant find them anywhere. Ill be getting them friday,but i will have them in QT for like a good while lol. So onto to my next question. Is it possible to get all males or females? Or they probably be too young to tell? Also what are the chances of them spawning? Im not planning on breeding them at all,but want to know if i end up with some girls and boys will i have a problem lol. I admit I dont know much bout fish. Particularly if it matters which sex you get. I know more about furry animals in that regard,and they would spawn like mad! But im not doing that either,dont worry haha. Enough homeless unwanted furry animals out there,so i would never do that. Im thinking of just getting 3 pandas for now because i only have one 5 gallon qt tank not big enough to hold 6 right? Then Im gonna see if I can buy 3 more but keep them on hold or something...do they do that at lf's? Hmm....Cause I do want them but dont want to overcrowd them,plus i dont want to have to buy another heater,filter all that.

So yeah. any help is appreciated! Thanks.

First off, 1.0 ammonia in my opinion is too high for a fish cycle. Needs to be kept within .25-.50.

Second, do not add chemicals to keep ammonia down, this may of been the reason your tank didn't cycle correctly. (do water changes instead)

Third, make sure you are declorinating your water...chlorine could easily kill the bacteria leaving you w/ just ammonia.

Best of luck though, hopefully more people comment :)

fishyinpa 02-04-2009 07:59 PM

Oh okay thank you so much. Yeah i treat the water. So you think amquel and novaqua messing it all up? Says it doesnt mess with your cycle...but that could be false...Argh. Its down to .75 as of now. Im gonna do another water change. Ive done one just bout every day when i saw it was a 1. I broke my test tubes yesterday so i couldnt check but i got new ones tonite,so ill be checking his water in a bit. Im sure I have to another water change lol. Whats a better dechlorinator then? I have some aquaplus and the stuff made by Tetra as well. Any of those good rather than the other stuff ive been using.

I just had a thought. Maybe thats why my nitrites and nitrates disappeared last time! cause it does say on the bottle besides locking ammonia,it binds them too...You are on to something lol! Time to change dechlorinator.

Is stress coat okay? Or is that a binder thing too...i have a small bottle of that...

fishyinpa 02-04-2009 09:17 PM

Well i used stress coat this time. Hopefully thats fine lol. Says something bout removing ammonia in your tap water though...so im not sure...but from what i read it doesnt bind ammonia in your tank like amquel or prime. *confused*