Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Vivariums and Reptiles (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/vivariums-reptiles/)
-   -   What do you think of this idea??? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/vivariums-reptiles/what-do-you-think-idea-20982/)

Guppy Girl 02-03-2009 07:05 PM

What do you think of this idea???

I have a large TV stand in my room that holds my aquarium and I was thinking aboutt an idea.. Just need some in put on how it could work.

I was thinking of taking out all of the shelves and turning into a large reptile terrerium.

Do you think this could work?
Any ideas on how to make it work?
I will post pictures of the stand, and let me know what I could do with it.

Cody 02-03-2009 07:08 PM

I would need to see a picture for an idea.

Also, do you know what type of wood the stand is made of? That is a huge factor is you do something that requires any humidity/misting.

Guppy Girl 02-03-2009 07:27 PM

I know its not real wood, its the stuff you put on top of the wood to make it look a little nicer.
I will try to post pictures up tomorrow.
The internet is down at my house, so Im using a wireless connection at the Library.

Guppy Girl 02-04-2009 12:10 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 740

Attachment 741

This is the stand. Its loaded with stuff at the moment, but Im going to move it.
Any ideas for it?
I have a basic idea of what I want to do, but Im not 100% sure yet. I want some other input from everyone else =D

Guppy Girl 02-04-2009 05:15 PM

I want to take out all the shelves, but leave the cupboards and drawers on the bottom intact.
So basically the whole center space is what I want to turn into a terrerium.
Any ideas for it???

Cody 02-04-2009 06:17 PM

Ok, I see your plan now.

Now, would you mind giving us the dimensions of the area? That would be another important factor.

Guppy Girl 02-04-2009 06:56 PM

LOL Gee
I'll try and get those tonight now too haha

Guppy Girl 02-05-2009 12:12 PM

Well, I couldnt find the measuring tape, but
Length is a little less then 5 feet (Im 5'2 so Its not far off)
Height is about 3 feet
Width is about 2 feet.

these are just measuring the area that aould be turned into the terrerium, bit including the drawers on the bottom.
And these are estimates. Could be a little more, could be a little less, but not by much.
Helps?

Cody 02-05-2009 06:42 PM

Wow, its a lot bigger than it looks!

Since you don't know what type of wood it is, I would avoid tropical herps. Actually, a Bearded Dragon would be perfect in there. You can go crazy with a beardie enclosure, as they love to climb and explore. The actual setup can cost a bit depending on what you do with it, but can be rewarding. They average out around 16-21". They are very friendly as well.

Another great choice would be a Blue Tongued Skink. They are great beginner reptiles from what I've been told, but require a somewhat humid environment. They are very intelligent as well, and can reach 20"+.

You could also do a little "Leo Land" thing with Leopard Geckos. You could fit 3 or 4 FEMALES (only them) in there. A male with other females will result in babies most likely after a while (and that will be a lot), and more than one male will fight.

There are probably many other options, but thats all I can think of ATM. Let me know if you need any care info about the species.

willow 02-06-2009 11:11 AM

nice space to have :)
cody covered it all there for you,
look forward to seeing how you get on.
my OH is building me a two stack from a book case. :)