Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Saltwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Heater requirements for a 180 (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-aquarium-equipment/heater-requirements-180-a-20969/)

uksub 02-03-2009 07:24 AM

Heater requirements for a 180

Hi Chaps
What watage heater would I need for my 180g fish only tank? Average temp in the tank location is 60f (room temp is set to 50 during day and from 12am to 5 am when not used to 65 at all other times)
I'm just setting up and am currently running the system with fresh water to check plumbing / sump operation etc. I have a 300 w unit in there currently and it does not seem to be doing much. I turned it up to max and it keeping the water at 63F. Does that seem about right? Would I need 2 300s or possibly a 300 and 400w??
Thanks in advance

Pasfur 02-03-2009 03:26 PM

I would suggest using 2 heaters, both of which are capable of performing the task by themselves. If one stops working, then the other will be a life saver.

I plan to use 2 x 400 watt heaters for my 180.

Kellsindell 02-04-2009 08:24 PM

I suggest using less then that. The general rule of thumb is 3watts per gallon so you have a 180 then you'll need 540watts. I don't suggest you get one close to that, but get 2 smaller perhaps 2 300watts. Reason is because if one get stuck on, then it won't have enough juice to cook your tank, but if you have a 500watt burning away, it'll get your tank up to a really high degree in no time. If you are really worried about it then get another one for back up incase on stops working or it gets too cold and you have to get more heat in it. Then you can manually plug another 300watt in or smaller. I don't like to take my chances with this as i've seen and have had it happen.

Tyyrlym 03-10-2009 10:01 AM

I might be out of my league here but with the temps he's stating for his room, from 65 to 50 degrees that's a lot of heating to get those up to 77 to 79 degrees. Most of the charts I've seen for heating indicate that the 2 to 5 watts rule works well if you're moving your temperature up eight or nine degrees. He needs to raise his 12 at a minimum to as much as 30 degrees over room temp. That's going to take a lot more heating horsepower than you would conventionally need.

Kellsindell 03-13-2009 11:02 PM

that's why i suggested having a 3rd for back up en case he was unable to get the temp up. That's why i recommend always keeping your heater wattage spread over several rather then 1 or 2 strong heaters. Yes they work, until they don't work, and that's normally when you need them the most... or you don't need them anymore and they won't stop working.

chris003 04-08-2009 08:10 AM

you want beleive

i dont use any heaters . with all my power heads and 3 250w mh and 3 110w vhos my temps still run high. my tank never goes below 80 . at night and 83-84 during day. iwant a chiller . then i will have to put heaters back in

Kellsindell 04-11-2009 12:30 AM

You should use fans for passive cooling. The fans that are similar to the computer fans. Put 2 or 3 over your tank and use it to push the heat out of the surface of the tank and you'll get this taken care of. Remember this person has a tank that's in an area probably cooler then where you are. Also, at night, without a heater, the tank will get real close to 60F at uksub has as the ambient temp. what's your house at? Even with the Power heads it'll get down to the lower 70F's

chris003 04-15-2009 01:26 AM

I live in IN.temp in house is 72-73 . I have a digital readout that shows room temp and water temp. never drops below 79 . I do have 1 fan at one end blowing all the time. One fan at opp. end sucking heat out . Wished i would have put 6 total 3 at each end .

Kellsindell 04-18-2009 11:27 PM

72-73, but still not quite 60F. There's quite a difference and while your tank doesn't have this issue, others do. I myself, without a heater, in a room of 73F would have my tank drop significantly if i didn't have a heater. I keep my tank at 80-81F (ocean temp) and without it, it would drop down to 78F or so and for ocean creatures that aren't use to sudden changes (anything that changes in less then a few days) it has an affect on them.

Pasfur 04-24-2009 05:45 AM

This is why I browse these forums. I forgot to add fans to my 58 gallon reef. Great advice above Kells... I agree 100% with using multiple heaters. I run 2 small heaters in my 58 for this exact reason.