Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   is there a limit to water changes? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/there-limit-water-changes-20968/)

zachary4311 02-03-2009 07:18 AM

is there a limit to water changes?

I was just wondering, is there a percentage of water that you shouldn't go over when changing the water. If so what is it

1077 02-03-2009 07:53 AM

I know of people who breed and raise Discus who perform daily 50 to 80 percent water changes due in large part to numbers of fish and foods that are fed. On the other end of the spectrum, some folks perform their water changes once a month or every two months depending on stocking and or live plants in the tank. Most seem to agree that 20 percent weekly water changes will be beneficial to the fish by removing dissolved organics and helping to maintain stability.

Tyyrlym 02-03-2009 08:03 AM

There's no real limit. So long as the water is the proper pH and temperature and conditioned for chlorine or chloramine, you can change as much as you want. The only thing I wouldn't do is a 100% water change. Personally I think if you're doing more than a 50% water change it's better broken up into multiple smaller water changes but that's just me.

aspects 02-03-2009 09:17 AM

the danger of larger WC is that you risk the chance of losing benificial bacteria in the water. and you really dont want to do that. youd basically be uncycling your tank, for lack of a better explanation. unless you have a massive bio-filtration system or bac house, i would stay away from large WC.
average is about 25-30% wc weekly, and if you arent overfeeding, that should be more then enough.

Tyyrlym 02-03-2009 09:19 AM

The water doesn't contain the beneficial bacteria. The bacteria colonize the surfaces in the tank, gravel, decorations, and the filter media especially. You can't uncycle a tank with a water change.

Well, you can do a 100% water change. Let it sit long enough for all the surfaces to dry out and kill the bacteria that way I suppose.

1077 02-03-2009 09:40 AM

One must also remember that not only are you removing dissolved organic compounds during water changes, but you are replacing vital minerals such as calcium and magnesium that have been used up by the fish and need to be replaced regularly for fish to remain healthy. Regular WEEKLY water changes with proper dechlorinator and with new water close to temp of the tank is possibly the best insurance that fish will remain healthy. Assuming you started with healthy fish, the fish are not overfed or over stocked, and that these fish are compatible with each other .

zachary4311 02-04-2009 01:05 PM

I do 30% water changes every Saturday and Wednesday. 10 gal tank 16 adult fish. Is that ok?

Sj45 02-04-2009 07:13 PM

50% water changes every other day is the max I would recommend for any tank in emergencies. Water does need to be the correct temp and ph though.

Sj45 02-04-2009 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zachary4311 (Post 168731)
I do 30% water changes every Saturday and Wednesday. 10 gal tank 16 adult fish. Is that ok?

That sounds like a good routine, and even 30% weekly I believe would be fine.

Tyyrlym 02-05-2009 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zachary4311 (Post 168731)

I do 30% weekly... sort of on my 48 gallon. Two 30% changes a week is no problem. I do about that to my betta tank, more if I'm bored at work.