Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Revamping the Eclipse 6 and considering a new 20 gallon (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/revamping-eclipse-6-considering-new-20-a-2093/)

ch0ch 12-27-2006 03:50 AM

Revamping the Eclipse 6 and considering a new 20 gallon

I got this eclipse 6 with a clown fish in it and some feather dusters and I want to change it to a freshwater tank. I am wondering if that will be okay considering the tank will have used two different kinds of water in the same tank? Second, I was curious about what kind of fish I can put in such a small tank? I was considering putting a pair of ram cichlids or a trio of shell dweller african cichlids. Is this a no no? is it ok? Maybe ill get a pair of african puffer fish.
I was also thinking about putting together a 20 gallon community tank with mollies, angels, and neon tetras, partially planted with plant gravel (Floragro is the name?)and some nice rock work with a custom background. I can use some suggestions about good filtration with low noise. Perhaps an overflow? I also want some decent lighting to have a nice effect and for stimulating plant growth. Basically, I was curious about what you guys estimate a tank like this 20 gallon would cost?
I know this is alot of information for you guys to help me with but I would really appreciate the help. Ill try and get some pics posted as it comes along because I am looking to do this soon.

crazie.eddie 12-27-2006 08:25 AM

There will be no problems converting the tank from SW to FW. Just make sure it's rinsed well. If you used any type of copper treatment, then some of it may have retained in between the silicone, so could be very harmful if you plan to keep FW inverts, such as shrimp, snails, etc.

The general guideling for stocking an aquarium is 1" per 1 gallon of water. Please keep in mind this is only a general guideline, not an exact science. This does not account for the larger bodied fish, swimming levels, aggressiveness, etc. Please do a search on the forums here, since there have been resent discussions on the matter.

IMO, a planted tank is a nice tank. It just makes it look more natural and can be benificial to fish. Seachem Flourite, Ecco complete, or ADA Aquasoil appear to be the most commonly used susbtrate for planted tanks, besides regular fine gravel or sand.

If you want a quiet filter, I would not use a sump with an overflow. A canister filter would be the best suggestion, since you can inject CO2 (if you desire) without worrying about outgassing it. Besides, you cannot really find an overflow that will support a 20 gallon tank.

The lighting with the Eclipse is not sufficient for a plants that require high lighting, but they can be replaced (DIY). I remember reading some info on this on the web. If I find it, I will post it. If you plan to keep the same lighting, then you can go with a low tech tank (No CO2 and lights under 2 watts per gallon). You can also have an open top tank, which allows you to use any type of light fixture than can be supported by the tank frame. this will also allow you to use additional tubes, hoses, etc. from canister filters, CO2, etc.

Suggested filters would be either Rena FilStar XP1 ($60 USD) or the Eheim Ecco 2232 ($70 USD). IMHO, the Eheim Ecco would be better price, since it already comes with the media, so you can use it immediately out of the box.

Substrate will vary depending on what you want to use. You can also use regular pool filter sand, play sand, or sand blasting sand (silica sand), which can be cheaply purchased at your local home improvement store.

I have 2 succesfull low tech planted tanks (both 20 gallon longs), with black sand (similar in size as pool filter sand), lighting at about 1wpg, no fertilizers. Low tech planted tanks are low cost to maintain and operate, since they use standard lighting, little or no ferts, and trimming/clipping is kept at a minimum, due to slow growth of plants. High tech planted tanks require high lights (above 2wpg), CO2, and additional ferts. You will get fast growth with plants, so trimming/clipping will be more frequent. You have more plant selection in a high tech tank, compared to low tech.

joeshmoe 12-27-2006 10:54 AM

i think eddies got i all there :D

ch0ch 12-28-2006 02:12 AM

hey thanks... very insightful. I am currently informing my self on vivariums so i may plunge into that as a 20 gallon setup. yes it is a very difficult dicision.

also, im having a hard time diciding if i want to keep a pair of rams, shelldwellers, or puffers in my eclipse 6... i am not going to make this a planted tank because i wanna keep it simple. But if i run into a really nice pair of rams or a ram dealer i am leaning toward that. Its difficult tho... im going for interesting behavioral fish in this eclipse. and the funny swimming movement of the puffers and the cute shelldweller homemaking is difficult to pass up. ahhh im so confused lol i want them all. :?

i think i am driven by the idea of setting up the perfect habitat for an animal... its almost like playing God... uhh weird feeling :lol: