Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Good Invert Tankmates for Tetras

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  fishkid 
#1 ·
Hey-

I'm new to the hobby and have a 20g tank with 7 Gold Pristella Tetras in it. I would really like to introduce some invertebrates like shrimp or snails into the tank, but I've read that tetras shouldn't be kept with invertebrates. Are there any exceptions to this rule? If so, what are some favorites?

Thanks,

Meatball

#2 ·
The trouble with snails is they need calcium carbonate which will increase the KH and pH. Though tetras will be fine with it, it'll leave them a little more prone to finrot and other bacterial infections.

Edit: You could always try crystal red shrimps if your water is soft. Add plenty of plants for them to hide. If your water is hard, then go for cherry shrimps or bamboo shrimps.

#3 ·
You could put in some nerite snails if your water is hard or if you can make it hard. If your water is soft, you could try some soft water shrimp like tiger shrimp and crystal red shrimp. If your water is hard, try hard water shrimp like red cherry shrimp and snowball shrimp. Just make sure you never put any black neon tetras with the shrimp.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.