Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   HOB or canister?? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/hob-canister-209026/)

Phishnpups 06-20-2013 06:15 AM

HOB or canister??

I've got a 55 African cichlid tank that I'm running two HOB's on but I'm wondering if a canister or two would be the better way to go. Any advice? Also has anyone had any luck having a planted tank with Africans? I've done some research and it seems like going with two smaller canisters is better than one bigger one.

fish monger 06-20-2013 06:31 AM

Anubias could work with Africans. They are tough and come in a wide range of sizes. This is just my opinion; however, HOBs are so much easier to maintain and I think they are appropriate for a 55.

AbbeysDad 06-20-2013 08:01 AM

Well I see you're running two Marineland Penguin filters and I'm not a big fan of cartridge type HOB filters (but I do like the Hagen Fluval Aquaclear HOB design).
However, with the exception of better media control, switching to a canister or two isn't going to do all that much for you. You might add a small canister to serve as a dedicated bio-filter (while still using your HOB's for mechanical filtration).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phishnpups (Post 2362170)
I've got a 55 African cichlid tank that I'm running two HOB's on but I'm wondering if a canister or two would be the better way to go. Any advice? Also has anyone had any luck having a planted tank with Africans? I've done some research and it seems like going with two smaller canisters is better than one bigger one.

jaysee 06-20-2013 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phishnpups (Post 2362170)

I agree with what you've found in your research.

1077 06-20-2013 10:47 AM

For African cichlid's which can average 4 to 6 inches as adult's,and their eating habit's,along with waste produced (depending on number's).
I would opt for canister which provides much more room for mechanical,biological media,more option's as to movement of water via spray bar's,lilly pipes, mounted nearly anywhere.
For small tropical tank perhap's one Eheim 2217.But for cichlid's,,I would purchase two of the Eheim 2217's.
They come packed with media ,and are reliable.Second choice would be Rena XP4.
Just my two cent's.8-)

Agent13 06-20-2013 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1077 (Post 2363538)
For African cichlid's which can average 4 to 6 inches as adult's,and their eating habit's,along with waste produced (depending on number's).
I would opt for canister which provides much more room for mechanical,biological media,more option's as to movement of water via spray bar's,lilly pipes, mounted nearly anywhere.
For small tropical tank perhap's one Eheim 2217.But for cichlid's,,I would purchase two of the Eheim 2217's.
Just my two cent's.8-)

really? Two? I have 1 2217 in my 72g with a powerhead and it's doing really fantastic right now but they are really young. So in all honesty you think a 2nd will be needed? I'm all ears as I find African cichlid advice hard to come by other then in fish store(which is good they do specialize is africans but also I love more then one sided opinions)
However for OP I agree that canisters are better for Afrcians but a proper powerhead is needed as well.

Oh and plants... Well the only thing surviving them so far are the banana plants. They even rip up the silk plants. Depends on the type of Africans you have..?? (If you name some I can tell you) but for the most part they will have lots of fun destroying your plants thats why I co for a clip with fresh Zucchini every day to keep their need for destruction fulfilled lol

jaysee 06-20-2013 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1077 (Post 2363538)
Just my two cent's.8-)

Agreed.

Sanguinefox 06-21-2013 01:20 AM

Just popping in to say that any time you are considering the Canister route, two smaller ones to add up to the power you need is always better than one. It's a better safety net.

However I am not sure that you need two for a tank this size. Are the adults really that messy? You need to talk to an experienced cichlid keeper to find out what the adults bio-load is before making any major purchases with money.

pop 06-21-2013 06:13 AM

Hello:
I donít understand the need for two filters if one is all you need. Why would several filters not running at capacity or top efficiency be better? The filters might compete with each other for bacteria reducing the biological efficiency and creating ecology for bad bacteria to reside as well as reduced mechanical efficiency in both filters.
Are the currently developed filters so poorly designed that a back up is necessary fore the predicted failure of the fist filter.
pop

Agent13 06-21-2013 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sanguinefox (Post 2368850)
Just popping in to say that any time you are considering the Canister route, two smaller ones to add up to the power you need is always better than one. It's a better safety net.

However I am not sure that you need two for a tank this size. Are the adults really that messy? You need to talk to an experienced cichlid keeper to find out what the adults bio-load is before making any major purchases with money.

Sang... Yes they really are that messy. Even as babys they are mind bogglingly messy. I'm supposed to see the Cichlid expert at my store today and I'll see what he says but I'm willing to believe as adults this is golden advice.