Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Red Tailed Shark Not Eating? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/red-tailed-shark-not-eating-20899/)

Sj45 01-31-2009 02:00 PM

Red Tailed Shark Not Eating?

I never see my red tail shark eat...liveaquaria says they're are not particular finicky eaters and will readily eat flake food although when I feed my fish, I'll usually get all the danios/barbs eating all the food, and him never seeming to come to the surface to eat. I hate to have food go to the bottom, but is that what I should do?

Thanks.

Twistersmom 01-31-2009 05:18 PM

Have you tried bloodworms or shrimp? I thaw these out in a little tank water. I use an eye dropper to feed the less aggressive eater. They learn very quickly that there is food inside. How is your water quality now? Still zerro ammonia and nitrites? Red tailed sharks are not great cycle fish, so if you have water quality issues that may be why he is not eating.

Sj45 01-31-2009 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twistersmom (Post 167787)
Have you tried bloodworms or shrimp? I thaw these out in a little tank water. I use an eye dropper to feed the less aggressive eater. They learn very quickly that there is food inside. How is your water quality now? Still zerro ammonia and nitrites? Red tailed sharks are not great cycle fish, so if you have water quality issues that may be why he is not eating.

I have not tried bloodworms although I know they're easy to find at pet stores. I will definitely buy some. Yah :( it's been 3 weeks and No ammonia, no nitrite, no nitrate readings...I'm quite suspicious, but I won't lie...I was too impatient seeing no progress, I went out and bought me a red tail :( but api test kit says the water is perfectly fine.

Wait! it seems to me I have 5.0 nitrate! I will do another test soon :)

Burninator 01-31-2009 07:05 PM

lol, thats a little high.

Sj45 01-31-2009 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burninator (Post 167814)
lol, thats a little high.

you do a water change at 40...?

Lupin 02-01-2009 12:48 AM

Nitrates at 5 is not high.

Sj45 02-01-2009 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lupin (Post 167884)
Nitrates at 5 is not high.

Thank You

Sj45 02-02-2009 03:53 PM

I just tried bloodworms but they are floating and the barbs/danios still eat them...It's been a week and a half so I'm assuming he's eaten something...recommendations?

willow 02-02-2009 04:55 PM

hi
how about a couple of catfish pellets,if you are worried about the others getting them,
feed them the flakes at one end,then drop the pellets in for the shark.

Sj45 02-02-2009 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willow (Post 168263)
hi
how about a couple of catfish pellets,if you are worried about the others getting them,
feed them the flakes at one end,then drop the pellets in for the shark.

I will try that :) do they sink? because if they don't...the danios are pretty quick to sniff out food and get to it, but they rarely feed off the bottom.