Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   DIY Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/diy-aquarium/)
-   -   DIY C02 reactor or diffuser? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/diy-aquarium/diy-c02-reactor-diffuser-20895/)

Blaxicanlatino 01-31-2009 11:21 AM

DIY C02 reactor or diffuser?

I built a DIY C02 generator (with the yeast and 2liter coke bottle and stuff) and i hooked it up to an airstone and placed the airstone under the filter intake (so the bubbles would get chopped up by the filter propeller) but I noticed that the airstone is getting a clear film around it. SO i want to remove the airstone and find another way to mix the the co2 better into the tank. How do you make a cheap diffuser/reactor? thanks you

JHK30 01-31-2009 12:32 PM

what is the clear film?:question:

Blaxicanlatino 01-31-2009 06:42 PM

no clue, i read from many posts and sites that this clear film is common.

JHK30 01-31-2009 06:43 PM

whats it caused by?

Blaxicanlatino 01-31-2009 09:51 PM

its unknown what causes it

ThalesthePearsei 02-01-2009 05:42 PM

I don't know much about the white film on the aristone, but I wouldn't reccommed you use your filter to chop up the bubbles. The high acidic content of the Co2 bubbles will cause excess wear and tear on your filter and can do some damage.
I have a DIY Co2 on my 3g planted. For a diffuser, I just used a bottle cap from one my my distilled gallon jugs and put a hole in the middle to insert the are tube for the air stone to go underneath the cap. I glued rocks on the outside and on the edge of the bottle cap to disguise it in the tank and weigh it down. Then, when the glue was dry, I put it in the tank and dug the diffuser as deep into the substrate as posssible, and even put rocks over it. I have had great success with this, as the Co2 bubbles are trapped inside of the tank for at least 10-15 minutes before they finally make their way up and out of the diifuser. My plants are doing well.

Does anyone know exactly how long the mixture in the bottle lasts before you have to make a whole new mix. I have read 10-15 days but I am not sure if this is a correct estimate.

swingshift 02-01-2009 07:59 PM

it depends on the temperature of the yeast mix. with the cold weather, i've had my heat on, and my co2 produces pretty heavy for about 8 days, then dies down to barely anything. keeping the mix at a low temp will give you more staying power, i've found.
and make sure you're using fresh yeast.
i use 2 cups sugar, 1 tsp active dry bakers yeast, 1 small pinch baking soda.

ThalesthePearsei 02-01-2009 08:16 PM

baking soda? Why do you add baking soda? I have never heard of that.

KevinG 02-03-2009 03:33 PM

1) I beleive your statement that the "high acidic content of the Co2 bubbles" is wrong. The real issue is more of a mechanical one. The "bubbles" and cause cavitation. This is to say bubbles around the impellor of your pump. This could upset the balance and damage your pump. Now that being said, CO2 injection will cause a ph flucuation but it would not make your water so acidic as to damage your equipment.

2) CO2 injection is a process od gas exchange. Your cap simply doesnt have enough surface area to give you a good exchange.

See this link for some really good info on DIY CO2
DIY CO2 System for Planted Aquarium

Didnt mean to rain on your parade, just trying to help.

chally567 02-03-2009 07:08 PM

Get a powerhead and a container and a bio ball. Put a hole in the container for the powerhead. then put in bio ball and you have a reactor.