Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   46g dwarf puffer tank!!! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/46g-dwarf-puffer-tank-20883/)

Neah84 01-31-2009 12:33 AM

46g dwarf puffer tank!!!

Today I finally put the water and the substrate in the tank. tomorrow I will begin my fishless cycle. sunday or monday I will add some plants. I hear its good to add them while during the cycle. I am getting manzanita Driftwood hopefully within the week.
I think I will go with 9 puffers, a few ottos (2) maybe and i will try some shrimp in there once the plants have grown alittle so they have a place to hide as well. sounds good? or no? Tank is a 46g bow
Will add pictures tomorrow hopefully the water will celar a little before then.

I know they could eat the shrimp but i have heard of a few people with success with the shrimp!

onefish2fish 01-31-2009 12:46 AM

granted your going to be wating out your cycle i would hold off on the ottos even longer.

they are sensitive fish and need an algae growth for their survival. i would also add more then 2 as they prefer schools/shoals.

Neah84 01-31-2009 01:30 AM

i wasnt sure if more then 2 was ok i wanted 4 and i plan to wait on those til there is plenty of algea in there. would you think more then 4 would work in a 46 bow with 9 puffers?

veganchick 01-31-2009 10:35 AM

OMG THATS MY DREAM TANK!!! lol! good luck with it! I was thinking about getting a single dwarf puffer in a 5.5 gallon sometime. They are so cool!

Neah84 02-01-2009 05:31 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Here are some updated photos of the tank so far.

veganchick 02-01-2009 05:54 PM

Awesome! Is it going to be planted?

Twistersmom 02-01-2009 06:10 PM

Nice looking tank!

Neah84 02-01-2009 06:39 PM

Yes its going to be planted but my LFS' plants look Horrible! so I am trying to find a good online plant website to get the plants, and the wood centerpiece I am waiting to ear back from a few people before I get that. Substrate is black eco complete planted and then a layer of red eco complete planted. I heard that the dwarf puffers natural habitat is a red tinted substrate! :) just wish the cycle would start and finish already. Hoping to order my plants tomorrow if anyone has any trustworth plant sites :)

Neah84 02-02-2009 10:43 AM

I am having some trouble deciding what plants to put in there. I really want to order them today and get something in the tank. I have a picture in my head of what I want the tank to look like, but I am no artist and my drawings would be pathetic at best.

as for plants I was leaning towards:

giant Hygrophila - back/sides
Sagitaria Dwarf Narrow - leaf subulata
EDIT- Crptocoryne Lutea

Java moss - Growing on manzanita wood
OR
Riccia Fluitans - Growing on manzanita wood

Dwarf Baby tears - Hemianthus Callitrichoides - covering ground
OR
Hairgrass - Elecharis - covering ground

Any other suggestions advice?
Lighting is about 2w/g

WaterBug 02-02-2009 03:22 PM

looks really great! have you seen this website?