Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Coming up on 3 weeks, No Nitrites. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/coming-up-3-weeks-no-nitrites-20852/)

Sj45 01-29-2009 09:10 PM

Coming up on 3 weeks, No Nitrites.

Alright, so I'm 2 days short of cycling my tank for three weeks. I've tested regularly and seen no spike in nitrites or nitrates. I added a "biological filter" enhancer which I fear really screwed things up (well, it killed two barbs). Anyway, If it's going to take 3 months now, I'm just gonna abandon cycling and check my ammonia and nitrite every once in awhile (with water changes)

Currently my water parameters are Ammonia 0 Nitrite 0 Nitrate 0

I'm lost for what to do, suggestions?

Details: It is the 55g I am cycling.

Twistersmom 01-30-2009 06:59 AM

Strange that your ammonia is back to zerro. Did you add something to remove the ammonia? I would still keep checking water daily. Sometimes ammonia spikes can happen very fast. Sorry to hear the barbs did not make it. Hang in there, these little fish are dependent on you. Any chance you can get ahold of some used filter media to help kick start your cycle?

Burninator 01-30-2009 07:35 AM

are you sure youre not just reading it wrong and your nitrate levels are really low?

seems kinda fairy tailish since fish output is ammonia. Where theres fish, there has to be ammonia.

Tyyrlym 01-30-2009 09:02 AM

Burninator is correct, if there's fish there's ammonia. When I cycled the ammonia took a long time to show up and dissipate but the nitrite period happened quickly, within 3 or 4 days. At the end there was little to no detectable nitrates. I still have incredibly low nitrates in the tank. I don't have a good explanation, aside from maybe a bad test. If your ammonia doesn't rise and neither do your nitrites I'd say your tank is cycled. Fishlessly cycled tanks see big nitrate rises at the end because of the volume of ammonia that was added during the cycle, you were constantly changing the water though preventing such a massive build up.

Burninator 01-30-2009 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyyrlym (Post 167416)
Burninator is correct

thats all you needed to say 8)

Sj45 01-30-2009 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twistersmom (Post 167393)
Strange that your ammonia is back to zerro. Did you add something to remove the ammonia? I would still keep checking water daily. Sometimes ammonia spikes can happen very fast. Sorry to hear the barbs did not make it. Hang in there, these little fish are dependent on you. Any chance you can get ahold of some used filter media to help kick start your cycle?

I added the "Jungle Start Right + Beneficial Bacteria", a day later there was no ammonia.

I will do a water test late on today.

Sj45 01-31-2009 11:58 PM

I think I may of just gotten a nitrate reading of 5.0...but i'm still suspicious because although I saw ammonia come up then down, I never saw nitrite do this.

Twistersmom 02-01-2009 09:53 AM

If I have followed all of your post, I think you said, you have never got a reading for nerites in the tank? I have never heard of a tank being cycled and never go through the nerite phase. It would be great if your tank is cycled, but I would still be cautious and check the water daily.

Sj45 02-01-2009 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twistersmom (Post 167931)
If I have followed all of your post, I think you said, you have never got a reading for nerites in the tank? I have never heard of a tank being cycled and never go through the nerite phase. It would be great if your tank is cycled, but I would still be cautious and check the water daily.

Correct, and I have and will continue to, thanks.

Tyyrlym 02-03-2009 06:20 AM

When I cycled it took about three weeks for the ammonia phase. It took about three days for the nitrite phase. Your mileage may vary but my nitrites came and went very quickly.