Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   brand new to fish, can't have bigger than 10g tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/brand-new-fish-cant-have-bigger-20839/)

FishinaDorm 01-29-2009 02:28 AM

brand new to fish, can't have bigger than 10g tank

Hi there, Being that I live in a dorm room about 8 months out of the year, I can't have any larger than a ten gallon tank, but I really want to get started on having my own aquarium. I am super excited and so far all I have gotten is a book (Animal Planet's Freshwater Aquariums) but it seems to have really good information in it.

I've been looking around, and what I was thinking was maybe just a pair of Dwarf Gourami, a few platies, and some Zebra Danios. I know from searching that they're all compatible, I'm just not sure if a ten gallon tank would be enough room for them, and how many of the platies and Danios I should get. The book has some suggestions for first tanks, but I wasn't totally crazy about any of the combinations.

I have read all about cycling the tank first and such, but if you have any advice you think would be helpful that isn't likely to come up anywhere else would be great.

FishinaDorm 01-29-2009 03:38 AM

Or am I getting way ahead of myself and should just get a beta for now?

taylorg 01-29-2009 06:40 AM

bettas are great but there , a few other options for there tank. you could do guppys, swordtails. molies platys dannios and few others. but not all together or you could a a planted tank with a few shrimp and a few small fish there are other things you could do but i just woke up and im short on ideas. by the eay what school in va are u at im also from va in lynchburg good luck with the tank

Tyyrlym 01-29-2009 07:30 AM

Ten gallons gives you a lot of options.

Livebearers such as guppies or platies
Some of the smaller tetras, like neons
Rasboras, like harlequins or anything similar
A single dwarf cichlid
Any shrimp you please, and a lot of them
Dwarf puffers

Or as iamntbatman suggests:
Quote:

-a small colony of dwarf shelldwellers like Neolamprologus brevis, Neolamprologus multifasciatus, or Lamprologus ocellatus (can be harder to find and a bit more expensive than more common fish but are very interesting and easy to take care of)
Bettas are great, don't knock them. With a ten gallon you could even divide the tank into two or three compartments and keep several. I have a six gallon tank with a betta and four, soon to be six, harlequin rasboras. It's a great little low maintenance tank.

FishinaDorm 01-29-2009 04:21 PM

Hi all, thanks for the advice. due to the fact that there is limited space (a ten gallon tank would take up most of my desk, not to mention changing the water would be an absolute pain in the rear) I decided to for now just get a beta and a smaller tank, until the summer, when I could get whichever size i chose and be able to take care of it more. What tank size would you suggest?

FishinaDorm 01-29-2009 04:33 PM

oops sorry I found it by searching.

FishinaDorm 01-29-2009 04:54 PM

Ok apparently the tank I bought is a bit too small, but it technically was a gift, so in about a week I'll get a proper sized one, a 2.5 gallon. As of right now he seems fairly happy, He is flitting around the plant, exploring, stretching his fins out beautifully and then stopping to stare at me for a moment like he's seeing what i'm doing. There is a bubbler/under gravel filter in his tank as well, and when its not bubbling, he goes down to the bottom and sulks. But when its going he flits around it and watches it and occasionaly nips a bubble. I plan to do water changes daily until he gets a better home. I have dubbed him fernando.

veganchick 01-30-2009 07:13 PM

The biggest is better. Bigger tanks are actaully easier to care for.

dramaqueen 01-30-2009 07:26 PM

A 2 and 1/2 gallon would be just fine for a betta. You'll enjoy your betta. They have great personalities.:)

veganchick 01-30-2009 09:31 PM

Bettas r awesome! have fun with him!