Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Stocking 55 Gallon?? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/stocking-55-gallon-20781/)

tyffpostlethwait 01-26-2009 04:40 PM

Stocking 55 Gallon??

Hello,

I am getting a 55 gallon tank in a couple weeks but I have no idea what to put in it yet! We want a community tank but it has to be something colorful! It's more for my 2 year old son than anything so really our only preference is for lots of color! Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Tiffany

epsilonvaz 01-26-2009 06:50 PM

Guppies...lots of colour :-)

Also, 10 or more neon tetras would look pretty nice also.

Goodluck!

tyffpostlethwait 01-26-2009 08:04 PM

Aren't Guppies live bearers? So wouldn't my tank constantly get overpopulated? Neon Tetras sound nice but do you know of any fish that get a bigger size but not HUGE that could live in a 55 gallon without outgrowing it?

Sj45 01-26-2009 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyffpostlethwait (Post 166666)
Hello,

I am getting a 55 gallon tank in a couple weeks but I have no idea what to put in it yet! We want a community tank but it has to be something colorful! It's more for my 2 year old son than anything so really our only preference is for lots of color! Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Tiffany

I would advise looking into a "fishless cycle" although especially read into cycling a tank. Here is a link to cycling a tank w/ fish.

Tips for Cycling Your New Aquarium - The First Tank Guide - Getting Your Fish Tank Up and Running with Minimal Headaches

Kim 01-26-2009 08:15 PM

Here's just some ideas. Do some research on the ones you might like and then we can advise you on which would work together in your tank.

- peaceful gouramis like pearls or honeys
- rainbowfish
- any kind of tetra really
- rasboras
- cherry barbs
- male guppies, platies, etc.
- maybe some corydoras catfish for the bottom
- bristlenose or I think clown pleco
- if you want to go cichlids there are some smaller species available such as rams, keyhole, and others that I can't remember right now
- hatchets
- danios
- angels if you have enough height to the tank
- kuhlii loaches (kind of neat shape, they look like an aquatic snake)

That's all I have right now. Look up some fish you may want, or maybe pick a centerpiece species and we can help you build a community around them. Have fun!

tyffpostlethwait 01-26-2009 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sj45 (Post 166696)
I would advise looking into a "fishless cycle" although especially read into cycling a tank. Here is a link to cycling a tank w/ fish.

Tips for Cycling Your New Aquarium - The First Tank Guide - Getting Your Fish Tank Up and Running with Minimal Headaches

Oh I know, thanks though! This isn't my first tank. I have a smaller tank with Dwarf Puffers. I would never cycle with fish - i Promise! :-D

tyffpostlethwait 01-26-2009 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kim (Post 166697)
Here's just some ideas. Do some research on the ones you might like and then we can advise you on which would work together in your tank.

- peaceful gouramis like pearls or honeys
- rainbowfish
- any kind of tetra really
- rasboras
- cherry barbs
- male guppies, platies, etc.
- maybe some corydoras catfish for the bottom
- bristlenose or I think clown pleco
- if you want to go cichlids there are some smaller species available such as rams, keyhole, and others that I can't remember right now
- hatchets
- danios
- angels if you have enough height to the tank
- kuhlii loaches (kind of neat shape, they look like an aquatic snake)

That's all I have right now. Look up some fish you may want, or maybe pick a centerpiece species and we can help you build a community around them. Have fun!

Oh thanks sooo much!! Ok, I did and I really like the idea of using a pair of German Blue Rams as my centerpiece! So do you have any ideas that would work around that? (And I do know that the rams would have to go in last so the water is well established!)

tyffpostlethwait 01-26-2009 09:33 PM

Ok, let me try again, lol! I did some more reading and considering my lack of major experience perhaps the blue rams are too much for me since they are so sensitive. I have found that apparently the cockatoo cichlids are hardier -- so rather than the blue rams, perhaps a pair of the cockatoo's?
Thanks again!

Tyyrlym 01-27-2009 06:55 AM

Kim has a good list with most everything I'd suggest. The only thing I'd be cautious about is the angels. A standard 55 is 18 inches tall which is what I'd consider the bare minimum height for angels. Personally I'd avoid them as I don't feel the tank is tall enough and they'll pose a danger to any of the smaller fish in the tank.

Twistersmom 01-27-2009 07:42 AM

How about a school of tiger barbs?