Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   New 15 Gallon long mixed african tank. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/new-15-gallon-long-mixed-african-20733/)

FordMan 01-24-2009 08:54 PM

New 15 Gallon long mixed african tank.

I'm starting a 15 gallon long mixed african tank i want to stock it with around 22 inches of fish and use cichlids that are under 3-4 inches i'm also looking for a small catfish for this tank the cuckoo catfish is just too big the tank is going to have many many rocks knooks and crannies along with some african snail shells. Any species that you can suggest would be great i'm deffinately going to have some yellow cichlids i was thinking 3 and 3 like 2 female and 1 male yellow and the same of another species.

Thanks, Joe

Cody 01-24-2009 09:08 PM

In a 15 gallon? You can't put any "regular" Malawi Cichlids in that. Only Shelldwellers.

Also, what do you mean by yellow cichlid? Yellow labs, Malawai Golden cichlid, etc?

FordMan 01-24-2009 09:14 PM

Neolamprologus leleupi longior aka the yellow cichlid in all the books i have. Can you suggest some good shell dwellers? Keeping in mind i'm going for maximum intense color

FordMan 01-25-2009 01:43 PM

Don't worry about it guys i did my own research and have some ideas in mind i'll post pics of the successful tank in about a month.

catfishtabbi 01-25-2009 02:08 PM

Fordman what about borelli apistogramma. I love them. But it does slip my mind what size uf tabk they require, but a long tank goes a long way. Check out www.azgardens.com for a look at these.

FordMan 01-25-2009 03:13 PM

Thanks for the suggestion but i'm going for all african cichlids that guy is a south american native. Cool fish though.

catfishtabbi 01-25-2009 04:07 PM

You know your cichlids perhaps i'll be contacting you regarding them . I would like to get some bottom/cavr dwellers incorporated into my community FW tank.For now i'm tapped out i'm having a go at chocolate gouramis and i've ordered new tetras and danios well quite a few oddies as well.

FordMan 01-25-2009 06:53 PM

Yeah Sure just PM me...

kamazza 01-28-2009 10:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Keep in mind leleupi males are very aggressive so a 15 gallon with a pair or trio of leleupi might be ok. If you do 2 trios , lets say a trio of leleupi and a trio of... maybe transcriptus or regani, you will surely have problems with aggression. You would have to stick with other Lake Tanganyikan cichlids and there is not enough room for that many fish. Ive had a leleupi in a 14gallon and he used every bit of it. For the fish's sake I would either get a bigger tank or get less fish because they will surely kill each other. And these fish arent usually very cheap.

FordMan 01-28-2009 04:15 PM

Thanks for your detailed responce i'll surely heed your advice. By the way is it generally ok to assume if i stick to all females i'll have less agression problems?