Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/forum.php)
- Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
- - IP help for sensitive fish please! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/ip-help-sensitive-fish-please-20715/)
IP help for sensitive fish please!
Well, if any of you have read my other thread you will know that all the fish from my 15 gallon are now in my QT tank awaiting treatment for internal parasites that my guppies apparently brought in dormant. So, from treating the guppies I know that parasite clear and pretty much any weaker medication doesn't work on these suckers. I have a very strong med called Clout that I ordered specifically for this purpose, but on reading the label it says it's not safe for bottomfeeders (my corys). So here's the question; the clout is a 1 time deal, one dose, one day, says you can use more but once should do the trick. If the parasites won't respond to anything else, then how would I treat this without using the strong meds? Do you think if I put a tablet in and watched very carefully that my cories could survive the treatment? What would you do? I mean, they can't go in my new tank until they're treated.
Thanks in advance for any advice. I really need it!
I have used Clout. It is very strong and it is highly unlikely that your Cory's would survive.
Could you treat the corys separate from the other fish with something else?
You can try copper sulfate here's some info on it. As far as i know it won't hurt your corries but i haven't tryed it myself.
Copper Sulfate, Is it safe?
Many people have had a bad experience with, or are afraid to use Copper Sulfate on their fish because they have been improperly informed on the mixing, dosing and usage of this product.
First we will tell you what Copper does:
Copper Sulfate is pretty much an all-around treatment. It is an Algaecide, meaning that it kills Algae, it is Anti-Bacterial, Anti-Fungal, works on external Protozoa such as Ich, and works on Oodinium, Sliminess of the skin, and kills certain parasites such as Cryptocaryon Irritans (Salt water Ich) and Crustacea (Argulus). It also works as a great preventative treatment for most all fish, freshwater or saltwater. We used to use it on Gill Flukes years ago, but now, the Gill Flukes have become resistant to this treatment.
How to mix up a Copper Solution properly:
Stock solution= 21 grams of Copper Sulfate + 21 grams of Citric Acid Crystals to 1 pint of distilled water. Shake well. Use 1 drop per every gallon of aquarium water= .15ppm. Why use Citric Acid with Copper? Simple, it sequesters the solution to make it stable. Copper does not readily dissolve in water. The Citric Acid helps it to dissolve completely and prevent Copper levels from bouncing around.
How high can I run Copper?
Safe levels are .15ppm to .20ppm. Any higher may burn the fish and leave them with red sores on their sides. It is very important to use a Copper test kit when medicating with this product.
How do I remove Copper?
A common misconception about Copper is that it can be removed from the water with activated charcoal. It can only be removed by either doing water changes, or by using E.D.T.A. (Ethylene Diamine Tetra Acidic Acid) to chelate it out of the water. Remember folks, there is no such thing as a "Chelated Copper Solution", as "Chelated" means "Inactivated". The proper terminology would be "Sequestered Copper Solution".
Warnings before using Copper:
Although Copper is safe at the correct parts per million, there are certain things that Copper cannot be use on: Saltwater Sharks, Invertebrates, and for sure... reef tanks.
Also, be careful if using Copper to kill algae. When you dose the tank, the Copper readings will disappear, because the algae will suck it all up. Then the algae dies, and releases all of the Copper back into the water.
Copper is a heavy metal ion and is considered a "Poison". Care should be used when handling this product.
What kind of internal parasites? I always use levasole if there is any chance a fish is carrying internal parasites. Its a very mild med. that can even be used on discus and invertebrates. Copper Sulfate won't work on internal parasites, it's a very common med and is the ingredient in Mardel's coppersafe. I also can't find anything saying clout will work on internal parasites either.
Where do you get levasole? My main problem is that I can't seem to find any other meds around. I don't really know what type they are. All I know is that they came in on some rescue guppies that were in terribly dirty water for years. The affected fish have white, stringy poops which is not the result of constipation. I had one guppy die since the I moved the remaining ones over to my 15 gallon (after I thought they were ok) and he died in a gruesome way with open ulcers covering his abdomen. He basically looked like he was exploding from the inside out. If I had to make a guess, I would say that the parasites had damaged his stomach wall enough to make it unable to hold up. I had to euthanize him and it was terrible.
If all else fails, do you think doing a half or even quarter dose of the Clout would be safe?
Thanks to everyone who replied!
I cant say I have had any success treating for IP. My clown loach did not make it. I ordered some Paracide-x from National Fish Pharmaceuticals. How well it works, I dont know, fish did not live long enough to try it out.
(nationalfishpharm.com), if you want to read about Paracide-x.
I went to the pet store the other day and I took a look at the meds while I was there. They didn't have anything beside the parasite clear. Drsfostersmith doesn't have much else either. I'm thinking I may be forced to try 1/4 to 1/2 dose clout. I don't want to kill my cories, but if the parasites won't respond to anything else they will die anyway. Uhhh...this is a terrible situation I never wanted to happen. Advice anyone? Will that work? And don't worry, I won't blame anyone if anything goes wrong, I'm just looking for imput. I take responsibility for my own actions.
I would not do it. If the meds say not to use it on cories, I would not do it. I would by some kind of medication on line, or give it some time. There is a good chance the corries are not even infected. Do they show any signs of illness?
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:15 AM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.