Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (
-   Saltwater Aquarium Equipment (
-   -   Puttin g my sump water back into the tank? (

Ocarius 01-22-2009 04:06 AM

Puttin g my sump water back into the tank?
I've seen some very cool devices on the web for getting your discharged water back into your tank.. like seaswirll or maxi-jet applications. The Seaswirl is like 200 bucks, and I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions to where i should start looking.

My plan is to use 3/4 PVC as much as possible.. white to avoid algea growth in the lines.

onefish2fish 01-22-2009 04:10 AM

i personally like mag pumps, i own two 9.5s and this weekend i should be getting a mag24 to power my skimmer. i use a mag 9.5 on my return without the pre filter. never had a problem with them.

Ocarius 01-22-2009 04:59 AM

no i mean the actual device, that takes the water pumped up from the mag 9.5 through the pipe, up to the tank and back in... you have some device you use to either spread the water out as it comes out into the aquarium.. or maybe you dont. thats what i want to know.

onefish2fish 01-22-2009 06:39 AM

i understand, a spray bar or locline. i currently use a DIY spray bar which basically is a piece of PVC with holes in it next tank is going to be Loc-Line

Kellsindell 01-22-2009 09:34 AM

White PVC does get growth in them. The black gets none. If you are wanting something that wont have algae growth, then crylon fusion, a paint you can get at Wal-Mart and not at home depot, is a paint that's been used several times from hobbiest and has been proven to be reef(SW) safe.

onefish2fish 01-23-2009 07:17 AM

im not saything this is or isnt the way to go, just putting out options so heres 2 quick drawings of DIY spray bars:

there would be holes drilled in it ( keep in mind, small/few holes=more water pressure being returned)
i actually would prefer to see this one:
back view:

When your power fails your pump shuts off. The water will siphon out these holes down into the sump, draining an inch or two from the display tank and whatever water is in the plumbing. Keep this in mind and make sure there enough extra room in your sump to take on this extra water to avoid flooding.

Kellsindell 01-29-2009 12:31 PM

Spray bars are ok, but you need a pressure rated pump to get them to be effecient. I don't really care for them. Powerheads like MaxiJets work just as well and you'll get lateral flow rather then most of it being verticle.

onefish2fish 01-29-2009 10:18 PM


i was just keeping options open. you can also drill the holes on a slight angle so they aim down into the tank, regardless youll want most of your flow from powerheads anyways. again keep in mind when the pump shuts off the water will back siphon to the first hole.

theres also locline which can be angled and moved to your liking and looks better IMO. my next tank ill be going with the locline

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:26 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome