Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   High GH (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/high-gh-20653/)

flight50 01-21-2009 08:28 PM

High GH

Is there another way to come up with a close to accurate degree for the gh. i had test strips and they max out at 180ppm. and yes i know test strips are inferior to the chemical test such as AP test. I have it too and I give up before i find out exactly what my GH is. I pushed myself to add 50 individual drops and still i don't have a definite answer. i had the water department send me their water report that they are required to give out if asked and the numbers were mad high. like 300pp+. i don't want to have to do this every month. i know fish will adapt but this is insane. i've been letting my tank cycle since aug 31,09 and i am just now getting around to planting this weekend. the hard water will be okay for my plants considering i have a co2 system but i am not sure for when i get fish, if they will make it the first week. thinking of a RO unit but with driftwood and co2 my ph will hit in the 6.0-6.4 range and i am targeting 6.7-6.8. any suggestions. oh and its a community tank set up.

Lupin 01-21-2009 09:36 PM

What fish do you plan to get? How did you figure out the actual pH when trial and error is involved when it comes to pH adjustment? What is your KH?

flight50 01-22-2009 09:32 AM

cardinals,lemons, otos and panda cories. depending on algae maybe cherry shrimp as well. the AP test for ph and Kh works fine. the numbers aren't off the charts. they are within my range i am shooting for. Kh is 5-6. depending on climate change. ph is a 7.6 and with 20-30ppm of co2 its at 6.8 if my kh holds. but if my driftwood continues to leak, it drops from 6.8. driftwood was rid of its tannins 5 years ago when i first had my tank setup. by resetting it up, it has more tannins to leak i assume.

iamntbatman 01-22-2009 01:38 PM

Well, you'll want to find out the water parameters of the water at the store you'll be buying the fish from. If it's coming from the same source, it's likely their water is just as hard as yours. If this is the case, it's better to keep the same conditions than try to acclimate fish to something that's closer to their accepted range. Then, over time, you can try lowering the hardness. If it's that high using a mix of RO and tapwater might be a good idea.

flight50 01-22-2009 06:00 PM

i would definitely have to get the fish store to check my water. however my water supply comes from another city than that of the fish stores i will be purchasing from. i'd have to acclimate for half a day or a whole day with my water. if i have to i will. but i have be contemplating the RO idea for the past 4 months. i am not really concerned about them breeding. before i moved from a different part of town, the last time i had cories they breed and i didn't even keep up with water changes, about every 2-3 weeks with a protein meal 1-2 times a week and they still breed. would be cool to see the cardinals breed but thats a slim chance.
would it be easierfor my choice of inhabitants to acclimate and trive better to a lower pH or a high gH.

Mikaila31 01-22-2009 07:15 PM

Water is only going to vary a little from city to city. I have hard water, I drive 40 miles to get some of my fish. Guess what they still had hard water and the same PH. I'm betting you are on limestone.

flight50 01-23-2009 06:40 PM

actually my whole metroplex has similar ground conditions. down here in north texas we are clay soil. my city has it own private water sys and i think they add a little more to the water considering its from a different water source than the other surrounding cities. RO here i come. i'd like my gh in the range of 15-30 at least. the fish will adapt but my plants will thrive more in harder water.