Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Anyone else have this problem--nitrates? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/anyone-else-have-problem-nitrates-206378/)

RackinRocky 06-16-2013 07:43 PM

Anyone else have this problem--nitrates?

I am a woman who can detect color! So why do I have such a problem seeing the difference between 10 and 20 nitrates on the liquid API nitrate test? I know men are often known to be a bit color blind, especially witb blues and greens and reds, oranges and yellows, so I don't see how in the world anyone can get an accurate reading with this nitrate test! The 10 does appear just a touch more orange-y than the 20, which is a touch redder, but still, when I hold the test tube up, it's so close.... Anyone else have this problem? I'd like to have an accurate reading!

AbbeysDad 06-17-2013 07:29 AM

Yep, 10 and 20ppm are very close on the API color chart. Then again, for our purposes, we really don't need an exact decimal measure. Although we'd like nitrates as low as possible, even at 20ppm, things are okay.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RackinRocky (Post 2337074)
I am a woman who can detect color! So why do I have such a problem seeing the difference between 10 and 20 nitrates on the liquid API nitrate test? I know men are often known to be a bit color blind, especially witb blues and greens and reds, oranges and yellows, so I don't see how in the world anyone can get an accurate reading with this nitrate test! The 10 does appear just a touch more orange-y than the 20, which is a touch redder, but still, when I hold the test tube up, it's so close.... Anyone else have this problem? I'd like to have an accurate reading!

beaslbob 06-17-2013 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RackinRocky (Post 2337074)

Very common problem. I especially have trouble seing differences once the test gets into the red (~80PPM or so).

JDM 06-17-2013 11:03 AM

My max is between 5 or 10 so it's easier to discern the difference. Try using a white LED light (flashlight or something similar) if you can't do the test and read the results in bright, but not necessarily direct sunlight.

Jeff.

avraptorhal 06-17-2013 12:35 PM

You are not alone. I'm male. I have problems with almost all of the API colors.

I think Jeff is the most logical in interpretation of the test data.