Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Anabantids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/anabantids/)
-   -   filtering for betta? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/anabantids/filtering-betta-20607/)

doraslilhitman 01-20-2009 02:00 AM

filtering for betta?

i have a single betta in a 10 gallon tank...i intend on adding a baby gibby as soon as i can get my hands on one with him but he doesnt appreciate the filter at all the current is sucking him in and he doesnt make any effort to fight it. I even made sure to block the filter flow with a large aquarium ornament...would it be extremely stressful to leave the filter on?

Lupin 01-20-2009 02:28 AM

Why would you place the gibby in a 10g? You do realize this species reaches 18 inches and 10-12 inches for most cases, right? If you are doing this as a quarantine, get another tank. You need to safeguard the betta's health from possible disease transmissions even by plecos. Every new arrival needs to be quarantined for four weeks minimum.

Use sponge filter only for bettas. Sponge filters often are sufficient enough and avoid fin damages for bettas.

doraslilhitman 01-20-2009 09:55 PM

yea i kno how big gibbys and other plecs get and it more or less is for quarantine cuz i cant set up my 30 gallon at the moment but itll do for a while since hes a baby. ive got connections that can get me a tank setup 100 gallons plus when he gets bigger and out grows all the tanks i have.

tophat665 01-24-2009 01:52 PM

I use a duetto 50 internal filter with the outlet pointed at the tank wall in my betta tank. That works pretty well in a 5 gallon tank. In a 10, I would use 2 or a duetto 100.

I think you're fooling yourself if you think you're going to be able to get larger tanks ready as the gibby needs them, but I admit I could be wrong. Just make sure you get him out of the 10 before he hits 3", and out of the 30 and into a 75 or larger before he hits 6". You'll need to up that to a 180 by the time he hits 12"; ideally you want at least a 6x2' footprint for a fully grown gibby, and that's the smallest tank I know of with that footprint. You could get by with a 120, I suppose (4x2x2) or one of the ones with a 5' x 18" footprint (less commonly available), but 6x2 or larger is really ideal.

Unless you are planning a tank full of monster fish, why are you looking at a gibby in any case? I understand that they're attractive fish, but there are many, many other plecos that are just as attractive and interesting, and typically do a better job with algae, that stay under a 8", which is about the largest size you would want in a 55 gallon (or even a 75 for that matter.)

Cody 01-24-2009 02:39 PM

Agreed on the gibby matter.

But as to the filter, look for sponges that you can put on the intake tube of filters.

muffineatsfish 01-24-2009 03:17 PM

why would you put a betta in a ten gallon tank, and if you are getting a gibby when it gets bigger wont it try to eat the beta? i thought bettas are aggressive and they get stressed in open areas thats why they like like a gallon bowl or something??

tophat665 01-24-2009 06:02 PM

The gibby wouldn't eat the betta unless it fouled the tank so badly that the betta died. Then it would eat the betta. I figure that there's a maximum window of about 3 months, maybe as few as 2, to get the next tank you want the gibby in cycled and ready to go before it will need to move up.

willow 01-24-2009 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muffineatsfish (Post 166239)
why would you put a betta in a ten gallon tank, and if you are getting a gibby when it gets bigger wont it try to eat the beta? i thought bettas are aggressive and they get stressed in open areas thats why they like like a gallon bowl or something??

hi
a Betta would be perfectly fine in a ten glln planted/decorated tank.
the only time it probably wouldn't b ok would be unsuitable decor/tank mates.

FordMan 01-24-2009 10:25 PM

Betta's only fight with other betta's they're perfectly suitable for a community tank as long as they're the only one. However you can have as many female betta's as you want and they deffinately apreciate the bigger tank the little betta jars are a joke.

1077 01-25-2009 03:19 AM

I would think a small sponge filter in 10 gal tank would be suitable for betta.