Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Saltwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Canister Filter? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-aquarium-equipment/canister-filter-20605/)

closeyetfar 01-19-2009 11:25 PM

Canister Filter?

I just got a canister filter for a great price. I was wondering what media should be used in it? It has 4 trays in it. It also pushes out 325 gph. I have 25 lbs of live rock and 30 lbs of live sand in my tank now. It is a 20 gallon long tank. Thanks in advance. I would like to have some corals in my tank soon. I also have a skimmer that will be installed tomorrow. It is a Current USA nano skimmer. The skimmer is rated for 30 gallons. The lights are Current USA power compact 2x65 watts. Right now the inhabitants are 4 turbo snails, 8 hermits, 2 percula clowns, a sebae anemone, and a chocolate chip starfish which will be traded in for store credit due to the fact that the starfish isnt reef safe. Thanks in advance for any help.

Pasfur 01-20-2009 06:08 AM

I would not recommend the use of a canister filter at all on a marine aquarium. The reason is phosphate buildup, which results when water is forced to flow through mechanical filter pads. Additionally, carbon and phosphate remover need to be cleaned at least weekly or you risk them becoming biologically active, which is exactly what we are trying to avoid with a marine aquarium.

I would suggest that you install the canister and use the mechanical filter pads to polish the water after performing such tasks as algae scrapping. The remainder of the time i would run the filter empty, without filter pads or other media.

I will check back on this thread tonight to provide more detail. Time for work...

closeyetfar 01-20-2009 06:55 AM

What pads are used to polish the water? I am assuming that that means it helps keep the water clear? Also would my rock and skimmer do enough to keep the biological filtration good enough for a tank of this nature? I am very new to saltwater and am trying to cut down on algae as much as possible. It seems to be my only problem as of now. I had a hob filter and it seemed I could not get rid of algae for anything except vaccuuming it off the sand.

cerianthus 01-20-2009 08:49 AM

Test for NO3, PO4 and if possible silicate. This test probably will reveal cause behind algae. Consider using RO/DI water if results are high. Other options is to use replaceable media when levels are not that bad, such as NO3, PO4, Si Remover. But do not leave them in the filter too long as these can become another pollutant themselves. Replace or clean as needed. Provided tank has decent amt of rock ( I think you do), it will be more than adequate as bio filtration. Since ging to do add coral, you probably will not add too many fish. Choco chip may have to go. Add Circulation in tank to create swaying action by using PowerHead and Cheap Wavemaker. I think AQ Systems make one that is Power Strip w/ 3 outlets to be used as Wavemaker.
Consider DIY HOB Refuge. Google for more info. This will definitely help you in reducing unwanted algae.

SKAustin 01-20-2009 11:11 AM

Are you sure what you are looking at is, in fact, Algae and not Diatoms? Diatom blooms are common in new systems. Diatoms feed on silicates, and will plague a new tank until the sponges start to grow and lock up the silicates.

Just a little food for thought.

cerianthus 01-20-2009 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKAustin (Post 165231)
Are you sure what you are looking at is, in fact, Algae and not Diatoms? Diatom blooms are common in new systems. Diatoms feed on silicates, and will plague a new tank until the sponges start to grow and lock up the silicates.

Just a little food for thought.

That is when one has enough sponges growing like mad!!! Not every one has luck with sponges on LR. Was lucky w/ orange, yellow blue, encrusting. Every tank is different, some may have algae(even macro) and/or cyano growing due to nature of the LR but not ditoms.

Pasfur 01-20-2009 05:34 PM

I don't recall a question about algae growth. Am I missing something?

Pasfur 01-20-2009 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by closeyetfar (Post 165186)
What pads are used to polish the water? I am assuming that that means it helps keep the water clear?

Your regular filter pads would be sufficient. You are just looking to remove any floating debris which tends to occur after scrapping algae from the glass.

closeyetfar 01-20-2009 06:24 PM

I am almost positive its algae. It is dark green and gets all over the substrate until I vaccuum it off. I dont think its from over feeding because i only feed every other day and I make sure each piece of food is eaten before I put in more food. After a while if it keeps growing on the substrate bubbles come up underneath it. It also starts to grow on my glass a little until i vaccuum it off.

Pasfur 01-20-2009 06:55 PM

I am totally lost. Was there another thread discussing this aquarium? This started as a question about canister filters. I can't find anything asking about treating algae. This is very odd. Yet I appear to be the only one confused. Strange. This is like a dream or something...

Ok, talk about the algae issues you've had. Do you test alkalinity? Calcium? Phosphate? How deep is your sand bed? What type of sand sifters? How active are your sand sifters? How old are your light bulbs? What type of water flow? What type of filtration were you using when the problem began? Did you change it? Do you use activated carbon? How? What types of foods do you feed? Do you use mechanical filtration pads? How often do you clean them?

All of these questions are very relvant in discussing algae growth and prevention. I'd rather you be long winded in your answer than leave out an important detail.