Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Seafoamgreen slate, what a find ! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/seafoamgreen-slate-what-find-20604/)

catfishtabbi 01-19-2009 10:57 PM

Seafoamgreen slate, what a find !

I've went to the same LPS for 5+ years. Yesterday i noticed thier tanks were in poor condition and they were running a 50% and 75% off sale.I asked the mgr if they were closing thier doors, she said no, still i asked about a cave formation i had been admiring for years she thanked me for asking and sold it to me for 50% off, so my total was only $20 for 7 pieces of beveled slate, i"ve never seen any like it before.They kept blue crabs on it, i hope my fish look good with it. My lower level fish will be purple danios and blue neons oh cherry shrimp too and yo-yos. Ant suggestions on disinfecting please feel free.The tank it was from was good.

Lupin 01-19-2009 11:04 PM

Why would you mix yoyos and shrimps?

aunt kymmie 01-19-2009 11:06 PM

I'm a big fan of boiling wood. Is slate considered rock? If so, a boil is a no go. I would never put anything in my tank that came from another tank, no matter how good it looked, without disinfecting it first. I have no idea how to disinfect slate. Sounds like a great find. Your yoyos are gonna love it :-)

Yoyos would eat shrimp, yes??

Lupin 01-19-2009 11:17 PM

Yoyos can eat any invertebrates. They're a poor choice with invertebrates. Kuhlis and hillstreams would be your best bets but hillies prefer cooler waters with powerful currents.

Slates are rocks but boiling is fine as these do not collect heat pressure which is responsible for most incidents involving rocks exploding.

catfishtabbi 01-19-2009 11:18 PM

Oh my those little guys eat cherry shrimp. Well it's back to stocking plan 1. There will be no shrimp.Those reds would look so good on my black substrate.

catfishtabbi 01-19-2009 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lupin (Post 165130)
Yoyos can eat any invertebrates. They're a poor choice with invertebrates. Kuhlis and hillstreams would be your best bets but hillies prefer cooler waters with powerful currents.

Slates are rocks but boiling is fine as these do not collect heat pressure which is responsible for most incidents involving rocks exploding.

Thats good i will boil my slate and i ordered a hillstrean loabh

aunt kymmie 01-19-2009 11:21 PM

Well, yoyos also look good on black substrate :-) . If you can't keep five yoyos (they really do need a minimum of 5 to truly thrive) maybe you should do a bunch of cherry shrimp instead??

Opps..just saw you ordered the hillstream...NM

catfishtabbi 01-19-2009 11:28 PM

Thank you both so much.Yous saves me.