Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   *waves* (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/waves-20578/)

lilgirlkat 01-19-2009 03:22 AM

*waves*
 
hi folks!

I've been using the forums for research for quite some time now. It seems like a good time to introduce my self and my little aquatic friends.

I'm currently running 4 tanks (technically) in my house.

I have a 5 gallon with 2 very young fancy tail goldfish and 2 african dwarf frogs. This tank will be coming down soon, as the bf thinks 4 tanks is waaaay too much electricity.

In my newest tank, a 10 gallon, I have one sick little dwarf puffer, a bunch of snails (that won't last long) and some kind of random plecco that the bf deemed suitable for my tank while I was at work (not thrilled). In this tank, I have a black sandy bottom, some sweet rocks that I made into a cave, and 3 live plants. I plan on planting the tank a bit more, since I seem to like the look of the heavily planted tanks, but I'm going to hold off until I know I can keep these little plants alive (my thumb is quite black).

The dp seems to be doing much better than he was just this morning (if you were wondering). He's been eating (which he wasn't doing at all) and he seems to be much less skittish than he was less than a day ago.

I am currently cycling a 35 gallon flat back hex tank. It is brackish and will be home to some figure 8 puffs or green spotted puffs and some gobies. :)

The bf has a 55 gallon hex tank with a myriad of random fish. It is brackish (slightly, if you ask me) and contains the following: 2 GSP (an inch or so each), one feeder gold fish (4" or so, I saved him from being pirhanna food), 3 giant danios, 2 tetras, 2 zipper fish (?), a bunch of cory cats (possibly 6), a gianormous pleco, a striped peacock eel and possibly some ghost shrimp (if the puffs haven't hunted them down yet!).


I hope to move those sweet little GSP to my brackish tank so he can make his tank freshwater (ever so slowly), but I'm not sure that he'll have that. He's quite convinced that his 'brackish' tank will be suitable enough for the GSP into adulthood. However, I worry that it won't be brackish enough for them and they'll suffer.

Now that I've written a novel about my fishies, I can introduce myself. My name is Keren (you can call me Keren or Kat).. I love animals and have a fat cat and 2 birds (love bird and quaker) in addition to all my fish.

I think that's all. :D apparently I'm a little chatty late at night. ;-)


see ya around!

onefish2fish 01-19-2009 03:32 AM

Hello Keren,
Welcome to the forum.
A few things i noticed right away is that the pleco will outgrow the 10gallon. If it happens to be a common pleco these get to be 1.5'+
You wouldnt happen to know the species would you? Another issue i noticed is that you have 2 goldfish in a 5 gallon. These are messy fish and require a bigger tank not to mention they are cold water fish and AD frogs need warm water.
How is the boyfriends tank slightly salt? Do you know the specific gravity of the water? The tetras need a school of atleast 6.
If you can, please post pictures of your tanks and even your fat cat and lovebird and quaker can go in the "other pets" catagory
-OF2F

lilgirlkat 01-19-2009 03:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onefish2fish (Post 164857)
Hello Keren,
Welcome to the forum.
A few things i noticed right away is that the pleco will outgrow the 10gallon. If it happens to be a common pleco these get to be 1.5'+
You wouldnt happen to know the species would you? Another issue i noticed is that you have 2 goldfish in a 5 gallon. These are messy fish and require a bigger tank not to mention they are cold water fish and AD frogs need warm water.
How is the boyfriends tank slightly salt? Do you know the specific gravity of the water? The tetras need a school of atleast 6.
If you can, please post pictures of your tanks and even your fat cat and lovebird and quaker can go in the "other pets" catagory
-OF2F

:) I knew all those things would be commented on.

I have no clue about the pleco, since he went out and bought it without my knowledge. I was waiting for the dp to actually eat and be merry before adding anything else to the tank.

The 5g tank is coming down -- and the gold fish will be moved. I'm not sure which tank, as the bf thinks they should go in with the dp, along with the DAF.

I don't know the salinity of the 55g water, as I haven't gotten a hydrometer that will measure that low (I've been looking). I don't believe it's as brackish as it should be because a.) he's using plain aquarium salt -- and not measuring it, just dropping it in and b.) if it was fully brackish, wouldn't all those freshwater fish be suffering?

The tetras are old, from a previous owner; We are not intending to replace them as they grow old and pass away, which is why there's only 2 left.

willow 01-19-2009 04:35 AM

hi there,
welcome :)
i hope you enjoy being with us,and chat as much as you like,
and pictures are very welcome. :)

onefish2fish 01-19-2009 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilgirlkat (Post 164859)
I was waiting for the dp to actually eat and be merry before adding anything else to the tank.

The 5g tank is coming down -- and the gold fish will be moved. I'm not sure which tank, as the bf thinks they should go in with the dp, along with the DAF.

What are you attempting to feed the DP now? They like live foods like live blackworms, bloodworms, brine shrimp, pond snails but i would also try freeze dried bloodworms. If you can it would be nice to know what the place of purchase was feeding him.
DP shouldnt really have tank mates with them esp. not the goldfish because again goldfish are coldwater fish and they also have alot of fins to get nipped off. The pleco will prob. be alright as they have "armor" and are bottom dwellers.
If possible, looking foward to seeing pictures.

mags2313 01-19-2009 08:26 AM

Welcome! Welcome! And Hello right back at you :)

dramaqueen 01-19-2009 09:32 AM

Hello and welcome toFishForum.

lilgirlkat 01-19-2009 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onefish2fish (Post 164866)
What are you attempting to feed the DP now? They like live foods like live blackworms, bloodworms, brine shrimp, pond snails but i would also try freeze dried bloodworms. If you can it would be nice to know what the place of purchase was feeding him.
DP shouldnt really have tank mates with them esp. not the goldfish because again goldfish are coldwater fish and they also have alot of fins to get nipped off. The pleco will prob. be alright as they have "armor" and are bottom dwellers.
If possible, looking foward to seeing pictures.


He's been given a diet of brine shrimp, blood worms, and he seems to have discovered that snails LOVE the plants. I'm sure the majority of the snails will be gone within a week.

I will attempt to get my cam and tripod out for some pics.


I was attempting to look in my brackish tank to rearrange plants and I noticed 4 things. A pair of bumble bee gobies and 2 gars (I think). They're tiny. Two inches, tops, and have little beaks, and their dorsal and bottom (ventrical? lol) fins are red. These guys eat live fish, don't they?

lilgirlkat 01-19-2009 10:46 AM

oh, and thanks for all the warm welcomes! :D

lilgirlkat 01-19-2009 11:29 AM

turns out that they're half beaks. looks like 2 males and one female.

the other fish with the DP is some kinda catfish, I guess... doesn't look like a cat of any kind to me. It doesn't have long whiskers or anything. It does have a long body tail with one super long, almost stringy fin and a normal fin. and a huuuuuuge mouth.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:06 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2