Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Air bubblers--good idea? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/air-bubblers-good-idea-205538/)

RackinRocky 06-15-2013 02:29 PM

Air bubblers--good idea?

Do you use air bubblers in your tanks? Are they necessary? I have a community tank, and some of the inhabitants are female bettas. I've heard bettas don't like high flow. Would a bubbler be too much for them? I like the looks of bubblers, and I like the idea of providing plenty of oxygen for my fish. What are your thoughts? Pics of your tanks and bubblers would be great!

DKRST 06-15-2013 05:59 PM

First, it would help to know what size tank and do you have any other filtration?
Airstones have a variety of uses, from purely aesthetic to very functional.
Functionally, they serve to reduce the size of bubbles produced and the smaller bubbles a) look better depending on your preference, B) don't make as much noise, C) move a lot more water around due to the smaller bubbles large surface/volume ratio, D) dissolve more O2 into the water due to the small bubble size, BUT the amount of O2 gained this way is much less than when E) The bubbles stir up the surface, break up surface scum, move water around and increase the air/water exchange of gasses like oxygen and carbon dioxide. So the short answer, is, yes they can be useful even in a betta tank.
I use airstones in a variety of ways in several, but not all, of my tanks. In my 100 gallon, I use airstones to drive my sponge filters and use a long air "wand" buried under some rock to give a bubble decorative effect. Do I need the long wand of air? No, but I like the way it looks!

RackinRocky 06-15-2013 08:08 PM

Thanks--I like the way it looks too! Plus if it were to be better for my fish, I might just think about it. I have a filtered 55 gallon where I'm thinking of using one. Are they expensive to buy?

Sanguinefox 06-15-2013 09:07 PM

When you have a very active community with lots of fish I prefer the addition of a bubbler. However I dislike the amount of noise nearly all air machines make.

Bubblers are also good when you are running medications, or doing heat treatments. They help ensure the fish are getting proper oxygen.

RackinRocky 06-15-2013 11:53 PM

I had no idea they were noisy. Might not be a good idea then--fish tank is in computer room, where I spend a lot of time. Oh well, it was a thought...

Hallyx 06-16-2013 06:16 AM

Air pump noise can be attenuated by wrapping the pump in a towel then hanging the towel on the wall. That's noticeably quieter than a padded shelf, as I've learned. The airpump can be located quite some distance from the tank, in another room if that wold make a difference.

My understanding is that nitrifying bacteria appreciate aeration.

Sanguinefox 06-16-2013 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hallyx (Post 2333266)
Air pump noise can be attenuated by wrapping the pump in a towel then hanging the towel on the wall. That's noticeably quieter than a padded shelf, as I've learned. The airpump can be located quite some distance from the tank, in another room if that wold make a difference.

My understanding is that nitrifying bacteria appreciate aeration.

This is true. However in doing so you also create a fire hazard as these machines running all day every day generate heat.

jaysee 06-16-2013 03:13 PM

I don't own an air pump.

Sent from Petguide.com App

RackinRocky 06-16-2013 07:46 PM

Definitely don't want a fire hazard. Sometimes I've noticed a fish or two at the top for a while, and this worries me. It seems as if they are not getting enough oxygen. Yet, the majority of the fish are not doing it. I have a Penquin filter. Would lowering my water level a bit create more splash and help things out?