Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Anabantids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/anabantids/)
-   -   Pearl Gourami Questions (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/anabantids/pearl-gourami-questions-205426/)

Neil D 06-15-2013 10:53 AM

Pearl Gourami Questions

Hi guys,

I just got 3 pearls (2f 1m). They seem to be adapting okay in their 38g tank. It's heavily planted (artificial). But I do have a few questions:

1. how long is the adjustment period usually for pearls?
2. one male and one female are always together. The other female tends to stay away, but she's not being chased or anything? (No chasing at all actually)

Any other advice for pearls? Thanks you!

Neil D 06-16-2013 10:27 AM

*bump*

they still seem a bit shy. Does anyone have any advice to make them feel more comfortable or less scared? The are eating as well...

Just out of curiosity, with 1m and 2f, if I wanted to put more females in the tank, could I? (I won't do that until I'm 100% sure these 3 are okay lol)

jaysee 06-16-2013 11:01 AM

It takes pearls longer than other gouramis to get comfortable in the tank. One of the benefits of quarantining is that you can acclimate the fish to you and your routine before they go in the main tank.

I would give then at least a week or two to settle in.

I'd stick with the 3 for now.

Sent from Petguide.com App

Neil D 06-16-2013 11:43 AM

Sounds good. Thanks!

And yeah, I was just curious about more...Thanks again!

Byron 06-16-2013 12:20 PM

Sounds like they are doing fine. I would not expand beyond the three, in a 38g, though. Gourami may be quiet and sedate fish, but they like space.:-)

Neil D 06-16-2013 04:29 PM

Sounds good. Thanks Byron and Jaysee

Neil D 06-19-2013 08:52 PM

UPDATE on the pearls...

Well, they seem to be okay. They're all eating, however the male is a bit of a bully. :/ I've noticed some chasing and pecking at the sides, but their fins etc. are intact. I'm thinking the tank requires more plants. TO THE LFS! Any other tips?

fish monger 06-20-2013 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil D (Post 2360162)
UPDATE on the pearls...

Well, they seem to be okay. They're all eating, however the male is a bit of a bully. :/ I've noticed some chasing and pecking at the sides, but their fins etc. are intact. I'm thinking the tank requires more plants. TO THE LFS! Any other tips?

There is usually a pecking order among gourami and it usually goes from male to biggest female to smaller female. Floating plants provide the best cover for gourami. My blues have been together for about 2 years now and the chasing seems to decrease as time goes by.

jaysee 06-20-2013 08:36 AM

Yes, it should subside in time. They're still new. There is rarely ever any damage, like you've noticed.

Sent from Petguide.com App