Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Vallisneria Americana Growth? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/vallisneria-americana-growth-205418/)

Emerald Terror 06-15-2013 11:47 AM

Vallisneria Americana Growth?

I currently am running a 60 gallon with java fern, amazon swords, and jungle val. Everything is growing amazing and I love the tank. However my main concern right now is the Val. I originally bought it because it was supposed to grow fast and tank over the tank. (thought it made an amazing background plant) I've had it for 2 months now and its growth up is great, some leaves are even spreading across the top of the water however I want to see more runners from this plant. I'm using flourish once a week and i do weekly 30% water changes.

Question:
How long should I expect it to take before it starts to grow runners?

Is it worth it to use root tabs for this plant?(I was told to do this for the swords but they're such fast growers it doesn't even matter)

rexpepper651 06-15-2013 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emerald Terror (Post 2327410)
I currently am running a 60 gallon with java fern, amazon swords, and jungle val. Everything is growing amazing and I love the tank. However my main concern right now is the Val. I originally bought it because it was supposed to grow fast and tank over the tank. (thought it made an amazing background plant) I've had it for 2 months now and its growth up is great, some leaves are even spreading across the top of the water however I want to see more runners from this plant. I'm using flourish once a week and i do weekly 30% water changes.

Question:
How long should I expect it to take before it starts to grow runners?

Is it worth it to use root tabs for this plant?(I was told to do this for the swords but they're such fast growers it doesn't even matter)

mines growing really slow too but ive been doing huge water changes lately an they seem love it. ive had 5 new runners in the last 2 weeks. from some videos ive seen. vals tend to stay shorter in sand substrates compared to dirt but this could also be not true. ive seen it on a dustinsfish tanks video. he had a half dirt have sand or gravel tank. ive had my vals for about 4 months now and have just started getting lots of runners. im using flourish once a week as well along with root tabs. im sure it depends on light, co2 in the water colum and nutrients.

Emerald Terror 06-15-2013 04:41 PM

I've seen that video. I'm using just sand and it's huge now. Maybe it just needs more time to grow. I seemed to do that alot where I expect my plants to be huge when I really just need to give them more time.

rexpepper651 06-15-2013 05:02 PM

yeah mine are short. about 8 inches tall. im the same way i expected huge amounts of growth in a couple weeks. lol

Emerald Terror 06-15-2013 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rexpepper651 (Post 2329354)
yeah mine are short. about 8 inches tall. im the same way i expected huge amounts of growth in a couple weeks. lol

It makes it hard when you see people with big beautiful plants and you have like a little sword and java fern.

rexpepper651 06-15-2013 05:30 PM

oh i know! dont expect java fern to grow fast at all tho. such a slow growing plant to begin with. those tanks make me jelly!

DKRST 06-15-2013 11:13 PM

Could be your water parameters? I've had val for two years and it's hardly grown. Finally figured out my water is really too soft. If I add hardness booster, the plant grows great. Without, anemic...

Emerald Terror 06-16-2013 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DKRST (Post 2331722)
Could be your water parameters? I've had val for two years and it's hardly grown. Finally figured out my water is really too soft. If I add hardness booster, the plant grows great. Without, anemic...

I live in southern califorina we have some of the hardest water in the country.

Boredomb 06-16-2013 01:42 AM

I have had this plant in the past. It did great for me. I used both flourish comprehensive and flourish root tabs as this plant (same as your sword) get a lot of nutrients from the roots and would appreciate the root tabs.

Emerald Terror 06-16-2013 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boredomb (Post 2332594)
I have had this plant in the past. It did great for me. I used both flourish comprehensive and flourish root tabs as this plant (same as your sword) get a lot of nutrients from the roots and would appreciate the root tabs.

I've done a ton of research today, from what I understand I should let it grow and once all the leaves are getting big I should trim it. This should force the plant to start using nutrients for runners rather then growth up. I might invest the extra dollars in the tabs just to help future growth. Hopefully runners will show up soon.