Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Saltwater Journals (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-journals/)
-   -   Fellow saltwater hobbyiest (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-journals/fellow-saltwater-hobbyiest-20535/)

darrelljonesdc 01-17-2009 12:04 PM

Fellow saltwater hobbyiest

Hello, I just join the forum and I have got some great advice from my fellow hobbyiest, and I'm glad to have found this site. But it seems that some fellow hobbiest are so called (marine biologist) and they give info from the ocean point of view. Fish tank life is nothing like the ocean and while they do have great advice on certain marine life they can not interpet how all species will adapt in aquarium life example you have a fish from the ocean and you put him in your tank this fish is a captive fish now and you have to do your best to create an enviroment that will house this fish. Certain thing my change, because of captivate maybe growth maybe reproduction etc.who knows... My point is all info from these so called (marine biologist) are not always corret and some of these guys work at fish store where they collect all kinds of information good and bad then form there opinon, which could be slightly off.Research your species and do what fits your species best success in aquarium life comes in all forms..:-)

Kellsindell 01-17-2009 01:25 PM

The so called marine biologist, as you put it, give you the info they do because they have exp that some don't posses. If you perceive it as otherwise then you take offence for a particular reason i don't know. In the ocean, the bioload is very different then what we precieve it. The water undergoes a "waterchange" almost every 2-3days and there's about 200+gallons to every fish. The hobbiest on this give information of what has worked in the past and what has worked for them.

The oppinions that are in this thread, are hobbiest and not marine biologist.

You're a marine biologist that has the answers? I'm going to make the dangerous assumption that you are not, otherwise you wouldn't be here asking any questions. Forgive me if i'm incorrect in this assumption.

[quote]Research your species and do what fits your species best success in aquarium life comes in all forms{/quote]
Please take your own advice. Thank you.

darrelljonesdc 01-17-2009 01:30 PM

[quote=Kellsindell;164386]The so called marine biologist, as you put it, give you the info they do because they have exp that some don't posses. If you perceive it as otherwise then you take offence for a particular reason i don't know. In the ocean, the bioload is very different then what we precieve it. The water undergoes a "waterchange" almost every 2-3days and there's about 200+gallons to every fish. The hobbiest on this give information of what has worked in the past and what has worked for them.

You're a marine biologist that has the answers? I'm going to make the dangerous assumption that you are not, otherwise you wouldn't be here asking any questions. Forgive me if i'm incorrect in this assumption.

Quote:

Research your species and do what fits your species best success in aquarium life comes in all forms{/quote]
why would I do any different???

darrelljonesdc 01-17-2009 01:35 PM

[quote=Kellsindell;164386]The so called marine biologist, as you put it, give you the info they do because they have exp that some don't posses. If you perceive it as otherwise then you take offence for a particular reason i don't know. In the ocean, the bioload is very different then what we precieve it. The water undergoes a "waterchange" almost every 2-3days and there's about 200+gallons to every fish. The hobbiest on this give information of what has worked in the past and what has worked for them.

Quote:

Research your species and do what fits your species best success in aquarium life comes in all forms{/quote]
Do you work at the fish store too...lol

onefish2fish 01-17-2009 02:19 PM

first off, please read this:http://www.fishforum.com/saltwater-f...ve-bred-20485/

now, fish store employees are salesmen. They may or may not know what they are talking about but when it comes down to it they are trying to make a sale. Your best bet would be to be as knowledgeable as possible about what you enjoy (in this case saltwater fish) or ATLEAST what you plan to purchase.

Here is a good analogy on this subject. This is like going into your local grocery store and walking over to the produce section. Your looking for gala apples. One employee doesnt know what they are, another does. The one that knew most likely isnt a botanist and if they are that just makes them more knowledgeable on the subject. Regardless they just got you the product your looking for, making a sale.

Now where this applies, which would be a fish store, not all employees are going to know everything but they wont have a problem bagging a fish. I suggest what i mentioned before, if you have knowledge on what you intend to buy no one can steer you wrong otherwise. Marine biology btw does have alot to do with aquariums in the fact they do studies from tanks. Yes, they do study the ocean but it doesnt end there. No, i am not a marine biologist nor do i work at a fish store. Hope that helps -OF2F

sydney 01-17-2009 04:10 PM

I am a marine biologist (Thanks to UMES) And I have to say you have some nice fish. Do you have a refugium.If not get one.

Kellsindell 01-17-2009 04:21 PM

I could very well ask you the same question. I've worked to obtain the knowledge i've retained and continue to work diligently to have more. In this hobby the persue should never be sated. I take your insult stoicly. Thank you.

darrelljonesdc 01-17-2009 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sydney (Post 164420)
I am a marine biologist (Thanks to UMES) And I have to say you have some nice fish. Do you have a refugium.If not get one.

yes I have a 45 gallon I"m going to add. Thankyou..

onefish2fish 01-17-2009 04:42 PM

i just realized your the guy with 12 angels, 5 tangs. . .

a sump/refugium does not add swimming room to the main display tank. yes, it does add more water volume to dilute pollutants out of the water. you can not stock a saltwater tank that same as freshwater. there are territory issues, swimming requirements,oxygen content and so forth. it is also better to have an understocked tank then one overstocked. canister filters arnt the way to go with saltwater filtration either. yes, they do work but need to be properly cleaned every few days, at the most every week. a quality protien skimmer, enought live rock, sand and weekly to bi-weekly water changes paired with proper feeding techniques should be more then enough to fit the filtration catagory.

sydney 01-17-2009 10:05 PM

Look, all of our tanks are overstocked to the fish. A fish in the wild can roam freely eat what they want ,breed what ever they want. All we can do is feed them and keep there water clean as possible .Im sure a pair of clown fish would like more than 40 gallons of water. If the fish are healthy then we sould not judge each others tanks. You could have a 2000 gallon tank with plenty of swimming room and the fish could be unhealthy.