Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   New to the forum and have a few questions... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/new-forum-have-few-questions-2053/)

Craigthor 12-24-2006 03:04 PM

New to the forum and have a few questions...

Hello all,

I've enjoyed my tank of cichlids for the last 8 months and am looking to add 2-4 more fish and am looking for suggestions. Here is what I currently have in the tank:

13 soluci (spelling probably wrong, Mostly male atleast 1 female only about yr and a couple months old gotten from my borther inlaw as an entire litter)
2 Blue Ahli (1 male 1 female)
3 Albino (not sure on genus but there all female)
3 Red Eureaka Pecock (Gotten from a good friend same with the Ahlis 1 male 2 female)
1 Jack Dempsy (Male gotten from brother inlaw who has mixed them for the last 5 yrs or so)
3 Minature Bushynose Pleco (brother inlaw raises these also)

45 Gallon hexagon tank with undergravel filter w/ 2 penguin 1140 power heads and H.O.T. Magnum canister Filter, Hydor Theo heater set at 79 degrees. Custom built sandstone rock formation w/ 20 caves and 4 layers. Custom built wood stand w/ electrical outlets built in.

I was looking to find some Red Empress' but after some research they seem to be quite bullish which everything in my wifes and I's tank is really docile. Looking for something that is chromatic with a mild temper max size 5-7" and looking for some info on growth speed compared to size.

Thanks and sorry for the long post. Hope to get a camera soon to get some pictures to post.

Craig

St6_Devgru 12-24-2006 05:38 PM

id get some clown loaches
or any type of loach.
some shrimp or snails (i have both)

Daz 12-24-2006 05:49 PM

Hi Craig,

Think if you want to get anymore fish you should maybe contemplate getting a bigger tank first. :)

Lupin 12-24-2006 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by St6_Devgru

Not in a 45 gallons.:shake: Clowns can reach more than 12 inches even as slow growers and will need company rather than being kept singly.

Gump 12-24-2006 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by St6_Devgru
or any type of loach.
some shrimp or snails (i have both)

I disagree with all of this here. loaches and most cichlids arnt a good mix and shimps and snails are usally food.

Also i wouldnt add any more to the tank either.

bettababy 12-24-2006 10:37 PM

I stand with Gump on this one... that tank is already maxed out, and shrimp and snails are food... loaches not a good idea in a 45 or mixed with cichlids.
The only thing I didn't see mentioned is about the dempsey... full grown a dempsey will reach 8 - 10 inches, and they are known to be quite aggressive. They are also carnivores.... so any smaller fish that will fit into their mouths may just become food once the dempsey is large enough. The aggression level of a jack dempsey also tends to grow with them, so as they mature they need much more territory and more aggressive tank mates that can hold their own. I wouldn't keep a dempsey long term in anything under 55 - 75 gallons.
Can I ask what your water params are for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH?

Craigthor 12-24-2006 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bettababy
I stand with Gump on this one... that tank is already maxed out, and shrimp and snails are food... loaches not a good idea in a 45 or mixed with cichlids.
The only thing I didn't see mentioned is about the dempsey... full grown a dempsey will reach 8 - 10 inches, and they are known to be quite aggressive. They are also carnivores.... so any smaller fish that will fit into their mouths may just become food once the dempsey is large enough. The aggression level of a jack dempsey also tends to grow with them, so as they mature they need much more territory and more aggressive tank mates that can hold their own. I wouldn't keep a dempsey long term in anything under 55 - 75 gallons.
Can I ask what your water params are for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH?

Hmm. As for the params I haven't checked as the tank was just moved and redone. Out of all the Dempseys the brother inlaw has I haven't seen any of his aggressive and they vary from 1-8 years old with the biggest just under 8". Our Dempsey was added when he was the same size as the Soluci and now almost doubles their size and hasn't ever tried to eat any of the smaller kids. Looks like I have some work to do.
Now if only I couldn't find a slightly bigger hexagon to fit in my custom built stand.

Craig

bettababy 12-25-2006 03:02 AM

A hex tank isn't the best environment for a dempsey... they need length to swim.

Craigthor 12-25-2006 09:46 AM

Does anyone know where to find an Oceanic 85 Hexagon and an undergravel filter for it? I may start my search for one as I don't have the space for a long tank in my house. I will be able to reuse almost everything other than probably my heater and H.O.T. Magnum filter so upgrading wouldn't be too bad in a couple of months. I would build another custom built stand for it as well and probably get a Magnum 350 Pro w/ Bio wheel and use that with the undergravel filter and my 300 GPH powerheads. Hopefully soemone can help in my quest for a bigger tank.

Craig

bettababy 12-26-2006 12:02 AM

If you go to the Oceanic website, found here:
http://www.oceanicsystems.com/
there is a place to find a retailer nearest to you. You can also call the company to ask them for the retailer nearest you, but many times they will refer you to the website.
If you're still having a problem finding one, let me know... my husband works there, I can get your location via PM and ask him for you.