Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   breeding koi??? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/breeding-koi-205266/)

butterflyKOIlover 06-15-2013 03:06 AM

breeding koi???

I want to breed my koi I have five three of them are platinum colored the other two are orange I want to have my own koi pond but I want to breed with my own koi I'm trying to figure out how to tell which ones are male and which ones are female

Marbellohsdad 06-17-2013 08:27 AM

Koi or colored river carp, as i like to call them, spawn close to shore in a violent mating ritual, in which the female bloated with eggs is rammed repeatedly by the males into some plant life/rocks. she can die from this- also unless you have spawning mops, a way to immedicaly seperate the eggs the parents will eat them immedally after laying.:-( most koi babys are born with problems/birth defects which is why the parents lay so many eggs. Also simply put there are to many koi in this world- most of which will die stunted in tanks/ponds not big enough for there edventual size. :roll:

the females are bigger then the males and are rounder when filled with roe. the males are smaller

Koi grow much to large for most ponds( under a few thousand gallons). think river size colored carp- koi can grow to be almost 5 feet.

wanarodha 07-16-2013 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marbellohsdad (Post 2339634)
Koi or colored river carp, as i like to call them, spawn close to shore in a violent mating ritual, in which the female bloated with eggs is rammed repeatedly by the males into some plant life/rocks. she can die from this- also unless you have spawning mops, a way to immedicaly seperate the eggs the parents will eat them immedally after laying.:-( most koi babys are born with problems/birth defects which is why the parents lay so many eggs. Also simply put there are to many koi in this world- most of which will die stunted in tanks/ponds not big enough for there edventual size. :roll:

the females are bigger then the males and are rounder when filled with roe. the males are smaller

Koi grow much to large for most ponds( under a few thousand gallons). think river size colored carp- koi can grow to be almost 5 feet.

Hi, Im new to this site, but with my past experienced as a hobbyist to rare tropical fish and breed them.
To find the males, Look into the gills of the Koi / GoldFish similar family the males as spots in the gills which you can feel from your finger if you touch it softly.
To spawn you need a large pond with bushes of aquarium plants.
If you does artificial breeding you may get 50% defective.
Artificial breeding does if you have not spawn the female for more than 6 weeks