Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   New Angelfish die within 2 days (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/new-angelfish-die-within-2-days-20526/)

MBilyeu 01-17-2009 12:42 AM

New Angelfish die within 2 days

So I am trying to add an angelfish to my tank, and today my second try in two weeks died. I have made sure that the angelfish I buy are not newly stocked in the store. After I have acclimated them, they both did the same thing, they immediately went to a back corner of the tank and if they swam around at all, it would always be along the back glass. I am wondering if I am doing something wrong? Here is my acclimation procedure...

1- The bag from the pet store goes into the tank
2- After 15 minutes the bag in opened and some(up to half) of the water is taken out
3- I add one ounce of my tank's water to the bag every 5 minutes
4- I keep adding tank water until I think that there is more of my tank's water than store water in the bag, this also may include me dumping some bag water to make room for more tank water.
5- At this point(usually 45 minutes later) I net the fish out of the bag, and add him to the tank. This is where they immediately go to the corner

Also my tank parameters are: Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 10, ph 6.8-7.0.

Is there something that I should be doing differently? Should I buy more than one angelfish to reduce the stress of a new tank, then after it looks like they are settled, return the ones I am not wanting to keep(I only want one)? Any ideas or comments are appreciated!

onefish2fish 01-17-2009 01:09 AM

how big is the tank and what else do you have in it?
are you positive your buying healthy fish as far as you can see from the get go?

its commonly skipped over ( atleast in freshwater ) but you might want to consider QT-ing your new fish. you can inspect them for disease/sickness as well as observe eating habbits.

jeaninel 01-17-2009 01:16 AM

Your acclimation procedure sounds ok. Have you tried testing the LFS water Ph to compare with yours? Just take a sample from the bag before you add any of your tank water. Are these very young angels? How big are they?

MBilyeu 01-17-2009 05:54 PM

Onefish2fish- I want to put one angelfish in my 30 gallon community. The tank is in my signature. I am no expert on angelfish, but I make sure to look for any visible sign sickness. I also make sure all the fins are full and haven't been nipped at as well as checking that the ventral fins are not broken looking(It was suggested to me to not get one with broken ventrals). I also stay away from ones that look skittish. Is there anything else I should be looking for? Also, my QT tank is still cycling, so I can't use it yet otherwise I would definitely be doing that.

Jeaninel- I buy the 1.5" angels because I was told that if they grow up with the guppies, they will be less likely to eat them in the future. Should I be buying the 3" ones? I haven't tested the bag water, I will do that next time. Is there something that I should change in my procedure if the ph is much different?

onefish2fish 01-17-2009 06:18 PM

the angels will eat the guppies regardless if they grow up together or not.

look to see if it is lethargic, has white spots/open sores/open wounds, breathing heavy, swimming right, if possible eating right

MBilyeu 01-17-2009 06:35 PM

I usually pick one from the store that is active with the group but not zipping from one side to the other. In the store I usally see a group of angels together and usually one or two that aren't. I try and pick from the group. Should I get one of the loners?

onefish2fish 01-17-2009 06:38 PM

being larthagic means sitting in the corner away from the group by itself. this is a sign of sickness, i dont know if thats what you mean but just a heads up. maybe you should try a different store as this one has been giving you bad luck

MBilyeu 01-17-2009 08:35 PM

Ok. I have tried two different stores, and tonight will be the third store. Thank for your help!

jeaninel 01-18-2009 01:22 AM

Hope you have better luck with this store. Maybe try a little older angels as the young ones can be quite sensitive.

steelerfan 01-18-2009 12:51 PM

Also, angelfish are better off in groups, usually three or more is best. If only two, one generally will emerge dominant and harass the other all the time. Sounds like the lfs is getting/selling bunk fish to me. Keep an eye out for tattered fins, labored breathing, twitchy or subdued swimming and skiddishness. All are signs of some kind of problem. Maybe ask the lfs to feed them a little, they should go after it veraciously if they're in good health. HTH!!