Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Electric Blue Jack Dempsey and Tiger Oscar? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/electric-blue-jack-dempsey-tiger-oscar-20481/)

Sj45 01-15-2009 10:07 PM

Electric Blue Jack Dempsey and Tiger Oscar?

Will they get along or will this not work, was thinking 55 gallon. Moving my other fish to a 20 gallon spare tank. (after I get it cycled)

donatar 01-15-2009 10:47 PM

Jacks are pretty mean from what I have read, But really the Oscar just by itself needs at least 75 gallon tank long wise.

Sj45 01-15-2009 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donatar (Post 164000)
Jacks are pretty mean from what I have read, But really the Oscar just by itself needs at least 75 gallon tank long wise.

kk, thanks :)

conger 01-15-2009 11:06 PM

I think standard 55 gallon and 75 gallon tanks are the same length, 4'. 75 gallon is deeper front-to-back, and a 90 gallon is deeper top-to-bottom than a 55/75 (but still 4' long). However, it maybe true that Oscars need a tank larger than 55 gallons, as I am not familiar with Oscars.

Just to share some personal experience, I kept a Jack Dempsey for a little over two years before having to give it to my LFS as I was moving across the country :-(. I kept him in a tank with several other fish that normally it shouldn't be kept with (not a danger to the JD, but that a JD might be likely to kill), but I gave him a nice, large, intricate rock cave to live in, and he happily stayed almost exclusively in his cave. Never bothered another soul. I think the JD's temper might be tested if he does not have a cave to call his own, and is forced to constantly share swimming/living space. Then again, fish have their own personalities, so maybe I had a relatively docile (or apathetic :-P) JD.

Now, an Oscar could probably hold it's own against a JD from what I know about them (the JD might be the one who is in danger), but each of those fish by themselves would need at least a 55 gallon tank, so I can't imagine being able to house two of them in the same 55 without having them tussle a bit if not worse. But, maybe there's hope if you can provide a large cave that the JD can reside in (again, I say this not having any experience or knowledge about Oscars). Hopefully someone else chimes in, I'm curious to hear what others think!

Sj45 01-15-2009 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by conger (Post 164008)
I think standard 55 gallon and 75 gallon tanks are the same length, 4'. 75 gallon is deeper front-to-back, and a 90 gallon is deeper top-to-bottom than a 55/75 (but still 4' long). However, it maybe true that Oscars need a tank larger than 55 gallons, as I am not familiar with Oscars.

Just to share some personal experience, I kept a Jack Dempsey for a little over two years before having to give it to my LFS as I was moving across the country :-(. I kept him in a tank with several other fish that normally it shouldn't be kept with (not a danger to the JD, but that a JD might be likely to kill), but I gave him a nice, large, intricate rock cave to live in, and he happily stayed almost exclusively in his cave. Never bothered another soul. I think the JD's temper might be tested if he does not have a cave to call his own, and is forced to constantly share swimming/living space. Then again, fish have their own personalities, so maybe I had a relatively docile (or apathetic :-P) JD.

Now, an Oscar could probably hold it's own against a JD from what I know about them (the JD might be the one who is in danger), but each of those fish by themselves would need at least a 55 gallon tank, so I can't imagine being able to house two of them in the same 55 without having them tussle a bit if not worse. But, maybe there's hope if you can provide a large cave that the JD can reside in (again, I say this not having any experience or knowledge about Oscars). Hopefully someone else chimes in, I'm curious to hear what others think!

wow, thanks for posting :) very informative. Like you said I'd be pushing it, but the cave is an interesting mention although seeing Jd's go for $50+ I myself would hate to see them fighting...beautiful fish though.

aunt kymmie 01-15-2009 11:23 PM

As an eighteen year old (man, that was sooo long ago) I kept a JD with an Oscar in a 100g along with some redtail tinfoils. I never witnessed a shuffle but I purchased them all as teeny tiny youngsters. I had them for about a year before I moved to another state and couldn't take them with me. After learning what I have here on the forum I would not do it again. In time I'm sure my 100g would have turned into a boxing ring. I agree with you..beautiful fish.

Sj45 01-15-2009 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aunt kymmie (Post 164014)
As an eighteen year old (man, that was sooo long ago) I kept a JD with an Oscar in a 100g along with some redtail tinfoils. I never witnessed a shuffle but I purchased them all as teeny tiny youngsters. I had them for about a year before I moved to another state and couldn't take them with me. After learning what I have here on the forum I would not do it again. In time I'm sure my 100g would have turned into a boxing ring. I agree with you..beautiful fish.

gosh kymmie, your all over the forums :) yah, I'm afraid as they'd mature I'd end up w/ serious problems...then again kymmie - a 100g is much larger than a 55.

conger 01-15-2009 11:29 PM

They are indeed beautiful fish :) One of my favorites for freshwater. I got mine when it was pretty small, maybe 1.5", and by the time I had to give him up, he had grown to almost 7"! I hated having to give him up, but there was no way for me to keep him as I moved from Florida to New Mexico :-(.

conger 01-17-2009 04:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Finally found it, here's a pic of my Jack Dempsey that I took back in Feb. 2008, a couple of months before I had to move. He was awesome! You can see the cave I had for him too, he stayed in the right side mostly, you can see how he dug out the sand :-D

Attachment 560

aunt kymmie 01-18-2009 02:13 PM

Awwww...nice fish! Sorry you had to let him go. Did his awesome digs get to go with? Quite the cave set up!