Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Best Place for Fish Decor? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/best-place-fish-decor-20463/)

Sj45 01-15-2009 03:58 PM

Best Place for Fish Decor?

Where have you guys gotten your decor (driftwood, castles, etc.) for your fish tanks? As these can get expensive, was wondering where the best place to get them was. Thanks.

aquakid 01-15-2009 04:13 PM

Drs. Foster & Smith

aunt kymmie 01-15-2009 04:22 PM

You can also try craigslist. That's where I found my tank, and later some huge chunks of Malaysian driftwood. I only paid $60.00 for what I recall was about seven large pieces. I love www.craigslist.com :-)

Sj45 01-15-2009 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aunt kymmie (Post 163855)
You can also try craigslist. That's where I found my tank, and later some huge chunks of Malaysian driftwood. I only paid $60.00 for what I recall was about seven large pieces. I love www.craigslist.com :-)

I thought about that but also the fact that they may carry diseases, is that possible?

KrisRogers 01-15-2009 06:14 PM

the old Walmart is always a good alternative for decor. ;)

aunt kymmie 01-15-2009 06:15 PM

Yes, this is true, which is why I boiled the heck out of it. It was a pain in the butt as the chunks were huge, and I had to use a lobster pot. Boiling kills most anything. I boiled it, let it dry out, and boiled it again. I'm not sure I needed to go that far with it but what can I say? I'm a geek... :|

Sj45 01-15-2009 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aunt kymmie (Post 163894)
Yes, this is true, which is why I boiled the heck out of it. It was a pain in the butt as the chunks were huge, and I had to use a lobster pot. Boiling kills most anything. I boiled it, let it dry out, and boiled it again. I'm not sure I needed to go that far with it but what can I say? I'm a geek... :|

Sounds good, thanks :)

dramaqueen 01-15-2009 06:58 PM

Kym, I guess you got those germs pretty good with all that boiling. lol

Tyyrlym 01-16-2009 07:00 AM

Dr. Fosters & Smith and Petsmart

onefish2fish 01-16-2009 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aunt kymmie (Post 163894)

you cooked it without eating it? :lol:

how about making things? that cost little to nothing. DIY coconut houses, DIY backgrounds, theres all sorts of stuff.