Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Open sore on Dwarf Gourami, HELP? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/open-sore-dwarf-gourami-help-20447/)

saglines 01-15-2009 09:16 AM

Open sore on Dwarf Gourami, HELP?

2 Attachment(s)
Hello, I recently addaded a dwarf Gourami to my tank, and shortly after he got an open sore near his mouth. any Ideas or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
the tank is a 69 gallon hex with @ 40 gallons of water, heavily planted. The GH is @ 12 and the PH is 7.6. the temperature is 72-74 F. In the tank is 4 Otto cats (Otocinclus vestitus) 5 Colombian red blueTetra (Hyphessobrycon columbianus)
3 Pangio oblonga (Black Kuhli Loaches) 1 Dwarf Gourami (Colisa lalia)
5 male guppies @ 12 Ghost shrimp (Palaemonetes Sp.)
3 Eastern Red-Spotted Newts (Notophthalmus viridescens viridescens)
1 Gray tree frog (Hyla Versicolor).
I do frequent small water changes of about 10%.

Guppy Girl 01-15-2009 11:06 AM

It looks like he got bit by someone in the tank, who? I do not know. Have you seen any of the other fish chasing him about?

saglines 01-15-2009 11:39 AM

Thanks, my first thought was that another fish took a bite. However, none of my fish are aggressive. And I haven't seen any agression towards him.

catfishtabbi 01-15-2009 12:40 PM

Hi, i sure would put him in a qt and purchase med for open wounds, all lfs will have it.Your everyday ph seems high and temperature low. You should check all references before altering it. I know you can only go down .2 ph each 24 hours and temp gradually but not as strictly.Definately get the fish in a qt .I would never risk the integrity of an established tank by holding onto 1 sick fish.

Little-Fizz 01-15-2009 03:57 PM

Your pH is fine... I don't recommend messing with it. It could be a bacterial infection at this point. Do you have water parameters such as ammonia, nitrites and nitrates?

aquakid 01-15-2009 04:20 PM

I think it could be a tumor but if you care for that fish that much you can perform a surgery on it by

running a water/clove oil solution over the gills as an anesthetic

removing the tumor

allow to recover for two weeks

CAUTION RISKY OPERATION :!:

Little-Fizz 01-16-2009 10:25 AM

That's NOT something you want to do and you shouldn't never recommend that to someone...

Tyyrlym 01-16-2009 12:10 PM

This is a very bad idea. First off its not easy to know if this is swelling, a parasite or infection, or a tumor. Two of those conditions will be worsened by this surgery. Even if it is a tumor this is a small fish and an even smaller lump. With no training I don't see how you're going to remove this growth without causing far more extensive damage to the fish than its currently suffering.

I'd isolate the fish in a QT tank if at all possible and focus on giving him the best water conditions you can.

saglines 01-16-2009 01:00 PM

Thanks everyone, don't worry I am not performing any surgeries!!
I am going to put him in the QT tank and take it from there.
He actually looked a little better this morning. the only thing i have done so far was to add som stress coat with aloe. I'll keep everyone posted. Thanks again.

Twistersmom 01-16-2009 04:45 PM

Your newts are very interesting. Do they come out of the water often? Is the tree frog in the same tank? Sounds pretty cool. Do you have a full picture of your tank?