Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Opinions on Biospora/ Tetra SafeStart? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/opinions-biospora-tetra-safestart-20425/)

Sj45 01-14-2009 03:11 PM

Opinions on Biospora/ Tetra SafeStart?

It claims it is live bacteria that will basically significantly reduce the time to cycle your tank. Here is a link, tell me what you think. (3 days into cycling)

Product Catalog

Would it be ok to use it or would I end up w/ an unstable tank in the long run?

aunt kymmie 01-14-2009 03:23 PM

I have used Bio-Spira and it does significantly lessen cycling time. It is VERY expensive and requires refrigeration before and after opening. You must purchase from a reputable source to ensure the quality of the product. If the product is heated or frozen it's rendered useless. Very few LFS carry it due to the careful handling procedures that must be maintained in order to sustain its viability. I have no idea how you would ascertain whether or not you were buying a "live" product, other than using it and having your tank fail to cycle quickly. Then you'd simply be out the money with no recourse.

I don't know anything about SafeStart.

Sj45 01-14-2009 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aunt kymmie (Post 163531)
I have used Bio-Spira and it does significantly lessen cycling time. It is VERY expensive and requires refrigeration before and after opening. You must purchase from a reputable source to ensure the quality of the product. If the product is heated or frozen it's rendered useless. Very few LFS carry it due to the careful handling procedures that must be maintained in order to sustain its viability. I have no idea how you would ascertain whether or not you were buying a "live" product, other than using it and having your tank fail to cycle quickly. Then you'd simply be out the money with no recourse.

I don't know anything about SafeStart.

Thank you Aunt Kymmie :)

aunt kymmie 01-14-2009 03:37 PM

You are welcome! I wanted to add a response to your last question regarding tank stability which I neglected to comment on. In my opinion using this product wouldn't contribute to unstability but it may not *add* to stability, if that makes sense. :-)

Sj45 01-14-2009 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aunt kymmie (Post 163534)
You are welcome! I wanted to add a response to your last question regarding tank stability which I neglected to comment on. In my opinion using this product wouldn't contribute to unstability but it may not *add* to stability, if that makes sense. :-)

Perfect sense.

Tyyrlym 01-15-2009 07:10 AM

The worst thing that will happen if it doesn't work is that you'll have to cycle normally. I'd point out that even if you buy the product from a quality retailer they can only guarantee what happens to it in their shop, from the manufacturer to the store they have no control over.

The best news I can give you is that after you cycle your first tank its easy to clone your filter and avoid doing the process all over again.