Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Saltwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Noisey skimmer help (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-aquarium-equipment/noisey-skimmer-help-20397/)

Geir94 01-13-2009 03:56 PM

Noisey skimmer help

Hi

The problem is that my skimmer is a little noise and i am planning to have just a nano tank and i tested the skimmer and it is a little bit loud so i was wondering if it was impossible to have it turn off at night because this is in my bedroom? can i also shut down the power head?

Kellsindell 01-14-2009 12:32 AM

How big/small is the tank?

You may not want to turn the skimmer off as it causes the PH to messup a bit and it also lowers the ORP. If your powerhead is agitating the surface of the water then it may be a possiblity, but i would not, repeat, NOT turn off all flow in the tank. There's no circulation and that means stagnation. In stagnant water there's no O2... and stuff starts to die when it can't breath...

Geir94 01-14-2009 08:22 AM

My tank is 25 liters or 32 gallon i think you can just calculate it on the internet.

onefish2fish 01-14-2009 08:33 AM

Geir i edited the subject of this thread in hopes to get more responses. "Help!!" also looks like your tank just shattered or a fish has a disease and theres an emergency. including words in the subject line of the thread will give members an idea of what the threads all about before clicking on it. hope that helps.

as for your skimmer, is it in a sump that is in a stand or hanging on the back of the tank?
what brand of skimmer is this and can you narrow down if its the skimmer making the noise or the pump thats feeding the skimmer? what kind of pump is it? how old is the skimmer/pump? did you do any mods to the skimmer? the more details the better as chances are you will get a more detailed response.

Geir94 01-14-2009 09:17 AM

Ok the skimmer is hang-on skimmer, and there is no air pump that I use it should just be without a pump. And this is red sea prizm skimmer.

Pasfur 01-14-2009 08:04 PM

{sigh} The dreaded Prism skimmer.

Yes, this is a loud skimmer. Bottom line, the venturi design that draws air into the impeller shaft is just noisy. Not much you can do about it. There is a silencer that comes with the skimmer, but it doesn't make it silent by any means.

Kellsindell 01-15-2009 08:57 AM

Agreed

Geir94 01-15-2009 12:52 PM

Do you know any skimmers that is lot more quiet? pleas i just need to know.

Kellsindell 01-15-2009 01:27 PM

A remora would be good. It's by AquaC.

onefish2fish 01-15-2009 05:32 PM

any skimmer is going to have some noise. they basically are a blender creating bubbles which produces skimmate and not to mention their pump constantly running. ofcourse some will be quieter then others.