Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   New to the forum (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/new-forum-20387/)

I heart fish 01-13-2009 05:50 AM

New to the forum

first fish tank. I'm extremely confused about above/below ground filters. Any suggestions? Right now I have an underground. I heard they are hard to clean.

Twistersmom 01-13-2009 07:50 AM

Hello!!!
What size tank?
If the tank is already set up, I would just leave it in. It does make gravel cleaning more difficult since most of the dirt is pushed down into the gravel. My water does always look nice and clean with ugf and a hang on filter. I would say its not important to have an ugf. Use it if you want to.

mags2313 01-13-2009 09:15 AM

I haven't done a whole lot of research into below gravel filters but, I also heard they are a bit tricky to clean.
I have a hang on back power filter in my 32g that is capable for up to 50g and I use all three filter media:sponge, carbon, and ceramic rings.
In my 55g I have a Marineland Canister filter that is capable of doing 120g (I think) but this one is stored below the tank and uses intake and outake hoses and tubes.

I heart fish 01-13-2009 06:06 PM

I just have a ten gallon. This is my first attempt at keeping fish. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Twistersmom 01-13-2009 06:12 PM

Do you already have a filter for the tank, besides ugf? What kind of fish do you plan on keeping? Ask away what ever questions you have, someone will know an answer.

I heart fish 01-15-2009 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twistersmom (Post 163308)
Do you already have a filter for the tank, besides ugf? What kind of fish do you plan on keeping? Ask away what ever questions you have, someone will know an answer.

Thank you for your reply.

I have just the underground filter but am debating on getting an above ground. We'll be keeping some livebearing fish such as guppies.

Twistersmom 01-15-2009 06:37 AM

I would go with a hang on the back type filter. It would be better to get one rated for a 15 or 20 gal. I guess you know you will need a heater for the guppies.

willow 01-16-2009 10:00 AM

hello and welcome.
if the tank is empty at the moment,then take the UGF out,and replace like
Twistersmom says.
:)

I heart fish 01-18-2009 07:25 PM

Thank you so much for your suggestions. I'm going to invest in an above ground filter. They just seem to look better. How much does a heater cost for a fish tank? I've never heard of one.

aunt kymmie 01-19-2009 12:37 AM

I use Stealth heaters in all my tanks and really like them. If I had a 10g I would buy this heater:

Visi-Therm Stealth Heater - 50W - 8 3/4 in. - up to 15 gallon