Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   angel fish temps (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/angel-fish-temps-2038/)

porksnorkel 12-23-2006 11:10 PM

angel fish temps

anyone ever hear of someone leaving there angels tank temp. at 66 to 70d? my boss at work says his warmwater fish have been doing fine at that temp. he says the guy at petsmart also recommended that temp.

St6_Devgru 12-23-2006 11:39 PM

hmm well maybe that is an okay temp but maybe increase it during the day to simulate the real light cycles of its natural habitat. lets say 76 at the peak of day and 60 at night maybe go upto 78 degrees if you want.but not too high i guess

porksnorkel 12-24-2006 12:24 AM

can't really swing the temp like that mon. would be to stressful for any fish. i guess the guy has had his angel for around 4 years at this temp.

Lupin 12-24-2006 01:10 AM

I wouldn't recommend that low temp, Pork. That is too cold. Angels originated from the tropics and the temp is usually not below 74 degrees at its lowest.
76 would be the lowest in my opinion. But then again, we are entitled to different opinions and whatever may work for you may not work for others.
I kept mine at 86.:)

porksnorkel 12-24-2006 07:39 AM

i gotta agree w/ ya blue. i run all mt tanks between 80 and 82.this all came about cause the guy was tellin me how his tank had ick...thanks to some petsmart fish and no quarantine. i was trying to tell him to bump his temp up slowly to 84ish...then i found out he was at 66. i was like WTF...?
he may never get rid of it at this rate.

jones57742 12-24-2006 08:17 AM

Pork:

Someone out there has "lost it".

Fish are cold blooded animals.

The angels will theoretically live longer at those lower temperatures but only if they can metabolize enough food not to starve.

In addition at the lower temperatures their immune system is not functioning well.

TR

Derek-M 12-24-2006 09:31 AM

Angels 75-80 f

bettababy 12-24-2006 10:32 PM

I agree, angels at 76 - 82F...
Be forewarned, that while the fish may appear to be doing well in the colder water, the wrong temp for the species of fish can cause a lot of internal organ damage, and also cause some of their internal organs to simply give out after a period of time. The chances are huge that the colder water will decrease their life span by quite a lot.

Other note... you don't ever want to fluctuate the temp the was it was suggested... the temp change, especially something that extreme would put the fish's body into shock and kill it. That's very dangerous.

Tropical fish are WARM water fish... and is why they are termed as "tropical". Some fish can handle a wider range of temp than others, but angels don't typically thrive in such a low temp.

porksnorkel 12-24-2006 10:50 PM

that's about what i thought. thanks for the input guys and gals.