Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   DriftWood help please (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/driftwood-help-please-20359/)

Blaxicanlatino 01-12-2009 08:50 AM

DriftWood help please

I did alot of research on driftwood but now I really want some experience opinions, tips and facts about using it. I want to use it in my 10 galon tank and put java moss on it. Any suggestions and or purcotions? Thanks a bunch :) :D

SinCrisis 01-12-2009 09:33 AM

well where are u planning on getting the wood? If you buy it in the petshop it will probably be heavy enough to put in. However, from eptshop or your backyard, i would recommend boiling it to remove some of the tannins and possible insects and such that may have moved in. Otherwise, driftwood is pretty simple. If its light wood and floats, you can tie it down till its waterlogged or leave it in a bucket till tis waterlogged. Also note that driftwood will lower your PH so how much you boil it will determine how much tannins are left so boil many times or leave ina bucket for a long time if you dont want any tannins.

Blaxicanlatino 01-12-2009 09:50 AM

My pH is already low as is, is there anyway i can make it to where the driftwood doesnt have any effect on the pH? Im most likely going to to get it at my local pet store.

1077 01-12-2009 09:54 AM

Artificial driftwood wouldn't lower PH.

Blaxicanlatino 01-12-2009 09:57 AM

Then what are the positives of having live driftwood?

WisFish 01-12-2009 03:21 PM

I didn't know that driftwood affected the PH??? I'll have to check my tank out. If you buy the wood from the LFS, it's usually pretreated. You should still wash it off and/or soak it though. Some light wood may never sink. I had one that I had to tie down to the UGF plates (years ago). At 1 store I saw they were selling some that had the wood screwed to two pieces of slate. You just don't want to introduce something unwanted "from the wild" into your tanks.

Lupin 01-12-2009 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blaxicanlatino (Post 162866)
Then what are the positives of having live driftwood?

Oxymoron.:lol: Driftwoods aren't live. They're plain dead woods that have been cured for a long time and safe enough to be used in aquaria without leaching anything else that may harm the creatures with the exception of tannic acids which benefit fish that originate from soft acidic waters.

Tannins can lower the pH but it depends on your hardness levels. Your KH serves as a buffering capacity. The lower the KH, the softer the water and the more the tannins can make a difference in your pH however very low KH is incredibly dangeorus as well as it can swing the pH beyond your control. In hard water, it will take a lot of tannins to be able to lower the pH which is why most people use RO water but this is a very tedious process and I don't recommend it as most fish you get are domesticated animals and have been adapted to various water conditions already after having been bred for decades around the hobby.

Lupin 01-12-2009 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blaxicanlatino (Post 162863)
My pH is already low as is, is there anyway i can make it to where the driftwood doesnt have any effect on the pH? Im most likely going to to get it at my local pet store.

You need to buffer your water. What are your KH and GH? Use dolomite for substrate or crushed corals. Limestones, marble chips and plaster of Paris blocks can be placed in your filter to increase and eventually stabilize the pH. Boil the wood to remove as much as tannins as possible although it will take years before the wood eventually stops leaching but the amount of tannins leached diminishes over time so it shouldn't be a problem.

Blaxicanlatino 01-13-2009 08:32 AM

I dont know the KH or GH of the water nor do I have the proper equipment to test for it. Which substrate would you suggest to increase the pH? WOuld I have to change the substrate due it wearing out? Which kind will not get sucked up in the gravel vac?

or should I just leave the pH alone?

Tyyrlym 01-14-2009 09:49 AM

If your water is hard it will have enough buffering capacity that your driftwood won't affect the pH.