Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Saltwater Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-fish/)
-   -   I have 12 angel and 5 tangs in a 220 gallon (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-fish/i-have-12-angel-5-tangs-20347/)

darrelljonesdc 01-11-2009 10:35 PM

I have 12 angel and 5 tangs in a 220 gallon

So far so good but I was wondering how the furture look for these guys..Im thinking I might need to upgrade to a larger tank because I would like to add maybe 5 more fish I got my eyes on.

onefish2fish 01-11-2009 10:51 PM

your overstocked the way it is. what do you plan on upgrading to, what type of fish you plan on adding, what other fish are in the tank now, what type of filtration?

darrelljonesdc 01-11-2009 11:16 PM

I have a wet dry that does 1800gph and 2 hang on doing about 400gph and I'm looking to add a large canister filter.I have a scrrible,emperor,personifer,blueface,queen,chrysus ,goldflake,redflame, coral beauty,asfur,annulurs,yellow and purple tang,clown tang,powder blue,blonde naso,clown trigger,black trigger,broom tail wrass...I was thinking a 300gallon

onefish2fish 01-11-2009 11:19 PM

the best way i cant honestly put this is that your looking at failure. seriously, when these animals mature there are going to be major issues all over the place. can you bring some into a LFS for store credit, or re-home them to a good home?

darrelljonesdc 01-11-2009 11:27 PM

NO I'm having good succes so far there no issues as far as fighting. I looking into a bigger tank maybe down the road but you should check out youtube there lots of people there with lots of angels in one tank

onefish2fish 01-11-2009 11:30 PM

with all due respect to you, 12 angels, 5 tangs, a trigger and whatever else is in the tank is overstocked.

how long has this tank been set up, does it have live rock (and how many pounds) and what are your exact water parameters? (ammonia,nitrite,nitrate,pH,SG,alk,calcium,mag)

because someone else is doing it doesnt make it right. are you protien skimming and what kind of skimmer?

Kellsindell 01-11-2009 11:38 PM

One fish is rights i'm afraid. If you are wanting a tank as stocked as you have you're going to want something closter to a 500g to an 800g. That'll give your fish ample room to grow as well as handle the pollution issues that you're going to be facing down the road if not soon. The fish you have selected are going to get really big and yes you may have success now, but i'm sure they aren't as big as they will get... and that could lead to isses. Now i do use the word could because we all know that fish have the tendancy to prove even the best wrong sometimes.

onefish2fish 01-11-2009 11:43 PM

5, 1'+ tangs in a 220 is pushing it, if not over doing it. then even subtract the space lost with live rock and your left with even less room for swimming

darrelljonesdc 01-11-2009 11:46 PM

I have all the proper equipment to run my 220 I'm just worried about space I can upgrade too a larger tank when there full size and split them up if necessary.. Its been setup 3 and a half years last fish added 6months ago

darrelljonesdc 01-11-2009 11:49 PM

yes your right but I have alot off plans that Im putting together like placing all my rocks in a sump to leave space when there full size