Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   My burmeese loaches not eating (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/my-burmeese-loaches-not-eating-20333/)

zachary4311 01-11-2009 05:26 PM

My burmeese loaches not eating

Basicaly. Just got some Burmese loaches (golden zebra loaches) (botia histronica) for my five week old tank. They have been in the tank for a good two days now and they are settled in now. But I'm worried about them. When I feed the tank, they never eat any. It's always the neon tetras that take the food. The neon tetreas aren't stealing the food or anything, there are plenty of oportunitys for my loaches to eat. I feed them good tropical fish flakes. There are 6 neons and 2 loaches and a tiny sucker fish. Also my loaches never swim out into the open water of the tank. Always running their barbs up and down along the glass of the tank. I have never seen them in the open water.

Any help please!!!!!

Hailfirex 01-11-2009 05:34 PM

what size is your tank, and do you have a test kit to tell us the water parameters? Have you tried feeding them anything besides for the flake food? What kind of lighting do you have and how long is it on?

zachary4311 01-11-2009 05:41 PM

Well it's a 10 gal and the loaches are 1 inch. I tested water at the shop and it was bad, but that was a week ago. I used a chemical. went back week later and they said it was the best water conditions they had seen in months. I try to keep the light on for 12 hours. Dono what kind it is. Came with elite 10 gal tropical tank.

zachary4311 01-11-2009 05:42 PM

Haven't tried other food any suggestions?

Hailfirex 01-11-2009 06:03 PM

burmeese loaches (botia kubotai) are a bottom feeding fish. They should be kept in groups with plenty of hiding places (so they might not like the light). The loaches themselves will eventually become 4.5 to 6 inches in length so they might become too large eventually for you 10 gallon aquarium.

For food I would reccomend pellets that sink to the bottom of the tank or bloodworms(frozen).

couple of other questions for you: When you say a small suckermouth catfish do you mean a common pleco? Second question: When and how much fish did you add at a time?

Lupin 01-11-2009 06:49 PM

1. Smear 3 drops of Kent liquid garlic on fish food.
2. Bloodworms.

It's as simple as that.:wink2:

Zachary, what "chemical" is this?

zachary4311 01-12-2009 12:33 PM

Answer to halifrex I added them all at the same time but let them aclumatise to my water for 1 hour( how the shop tellss toy to do it) I'm not sure wether that is bad or not. Answer to lupin I used a chemical called kordon-AmQuel+

Also thankyou for the answers!!

Hailfirex 01-12-2009 06:43 PM

Acclimating the fish to the aquarium is a good thing. However adding that many fish at the same time may cause you to have a bio-load spike which will cause added stress to your fish. I hope also that your tank has cycled (if your not sure what fishless cycle is google it).

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

zachary4311 01-13-2009 12:50 PM

Erm... Well over the past few weeks I have been spending all of my free time(not much) on research. Also I have bougt a product that halves all the levels of nitrite...ect..every day.

mags2313 01-13-2009 01:07 PM

I have 4 burmese zebra loaches in my 32g and even in this tank I am worried they will outgrow it... So, you need a bigger tank....
My loaches did not eat the first day they were in my tank as well, but they sure ate alot of snails...
That thing they do on the glass, going up and down is a good sign.