Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Rams and tankmates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/rams-tankmates-20331/)

veganchick 01-11-2009 06:01 PM

Rams and tankmates

Ok, first I want ot ask are there any Rams that can thrive happily in a 10 gallon ? Also is a 20 gallon big enough for 2 blue rams, 3 cories, cherry shrimp, 2 MALE guppies, and maybe 5 neon tetras???? Or if that isn't big enough what can go in a 20 with 2 blue rams??? ANYTHING??

Cody 01-11-2009 06:10 PM

I think with the proper conditions, weekly water changes, very acidic water and plenty of plants, ONE Ram would do fine. Nothing else.

You need to be careful in a 20G. When you say two, do you mean a pair or 2 females? A pair, if they breed, could easily kill off everything else in the tank because they wouldn't be able to fend off a cichlid. Two females may be ok if they are the last added, added at the same time, and you have plenty of hiding spots.

Oh, 20 long or high?

veganchick 01-11-2009 07:18 PM

either one, I haven't got the 20 gallon yet, is long or high better for rams? WHAT KIND of ram would do well in a ten gallon? oh, and I was going to get 2 females.

Cody 01-11-2009 07:32 PM

A 20L is always better than a high. More swimming space, more surface area, etc.

Really any of the common Rams do fine. All have very similar care requirements (Bolivian, Gold, Blue, etc).

Little-Fizz 01-11-2009 07:55 PM

If you plant your tank really well you would be able to get away with a pair. They might try to kill your shrimp but your tetras are fast enough to get away. And thats only if they breed.

IMO Blue rams are the best, definitely one of the more attractive rams.

I would watch for the guppies though, someone on this forum kept guppies with a single blue ram, and said they got along fine. But they might try to chew on the guppies tail.

ps. It's nice to see a fellow vegan on the forum.

veganchick 01-11-2009 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little-Fizz (Post 162673)
If you plant your tank really well you would be able to get away with a pair. They might try to kill your shrimp but your tetras are fast enough to get away. And thats only if they breed.

IMO Blue rams are the best, definitely one of the more attractive rams.

I would watch for the guppies though, someone on this forum kept guppies with a single blue ram, and said they got along fine. But they might try to chew on the guppies tail.

ps. It's nice to see a fellow vegan on the forum.

Thanks! I am glad you said blue cuz they are GORGIOUS!! but i say that about all fish! lol! ok, I am not gonna do the guppies, they can stay in the 3 gallon! Am am soooooooo exited about these fishies!!! :) They are AWESOME!!! Wait, r u a vegan 2? If so thats cool!!!

Little-Fizz 01-11-2009 11:14 PM

Do you plan on cycling the tank without fish? Yeah the blue rams are really pretty, they have been my goal since I started my 20 gallon... Lol like 4 months ago, now it's over run with like 30 platy fry. And yes I am vegan, lol it's freaking awesome.

veganchick 01-12-2009 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little-Fizz (Post 162742)
Do you plan on cycling the tank without fish? Yeah the blue rams are really pretty, they have been my goal since I started my 20 gallon... Lol like 4 months ago, now it's over run with like 30 platy fry. And yes I am vegan, lol it's freaking awesome.

Actually, I was just going to ask if there were any really hardy fish I would put in after a few weeks, because I want the tank to be perfect for my little rams!!! Oh, and ya...... Vegans are freakin awesome!!! LOL

Tyyrlym 01-14-2009 08:17 AM

Are you talking about cycling with fish or adding in some hardy fish post cycle?

veganchick 01-14-2009 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyyrlym (Post 163444)
Are you talking about cycling with fish or adding in some hardy fish post cycle?

ya